'Columbo' Star

Peter Falk Dies

6/24/2011 10:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Peter Falk -- star of the TV show "Columbo" -- died last night ... TMZ has learned.

Peter Falk Dead
Falk -- who suffered from Alzheimer's disease -- was 83.

A rep for the family tells TMZ, "Peter Falk, 83-year-old Academy Award nominee and star of television series, 'Columbo', died peacefully at his Beverly Hills home in the evening of June 23, 2011."

The rep continued, "Peter Falk is survived by his wife, Shera, of 34 years and two daughters from a previous marriage."

In addition to "Columbo," Falk starred in "Princess Bride," "Brigadoon" and "The Great Race."

Peter's wife, Shera and daughter Catherine were locked in a legal battle in 2009 over the creation of a conservatorship for Peter and who would control it.  In the end, the judge appointed Shera conservator.

UPDATE: John Finnegan -- Falk's "Columbo" co-star -- tells TMZ, he fell literally FELL DOWN when heard the news ... “I have known Peter for over 60 years ...  He was like a brother for me, he kept the food on the table.  He was the best, great!"

0624_peter_falk_footer
tmz-top-comments-banner
@alroker @alroker

Few were better thanPeter Falk in Columbo or as Vincent J. Ricardo in The In-Laws. He will be missed.

@sethmeyers21 @sethmeyers21

RIP Peter Falk. "The In-Laws" still one of the funniest movies of all time. #SerpentineShelSerpentine.

@stephenfry @stephenfry

Oh no :( Just heard. Peter Falk, who played Columbo, TV's greatest EVER detective, has died.

tmz-top-comments-banner
@AndyMilonakis @AndyMilonakis

Rip Peter Falk. Murder By Death is the sh*t

@DougBenson @DougBenson

Peter Falk was great in THE IN-LAWS and THE GREAT RACE. #RIPColumbo

@JamesGunn @JamesGunn

RIP Peter Falk - one of my favorite actors ever.

@rainnwilson @rainnwilson

RIP Peter Falk - He was one of the greats. Watch 'Wings of Desire' to see him at his best. ,) [one eyed emoticon]

@JoyVBehar @JoyVBehar

So sorry to hear about the passing of Peter Falk.

@Alyssa_Milano @Alyssa_Milano

Rest in peace, Peter Falk. ❤

@alroker @alroker

@sethmeyers21 @sethmeyers21

@stephenfry @stephenfry

BarryW

HELLO, TMZ; I WOULD APPRECIATE YOU AND ALL THE OTHER NEWS MEDIA OUTLETS, TO INCLUDE Associated Press and The New York Times, check and Double-check your stories before you start reporting. You reported that My favourite actor Has died last night at his Beverly Hill's Home. I Hope You all have seen the corpse of Mr. Peter Falk....Where is the Body?

Take Care,
BarryW.

stargazer

So sad. He was such a nice man! Anyone know where to send condolences to his family at? Back in the late 80's and early 90's, my mother worked for him and would like to do so.

peniguel bernadette

en france nous aimons beaucoup la serie COLOMBO et nous sommes particulierement tristes du deces de peter falk; la maladie d alzeimer est une maladie tres dure a vivre et la mort est bien souvent une delivrance; nous adressons nos condoleances a la famille de peter et surtout a son epouse qui a ete toujours la pour lui.

The Neko Nation

R.I.P. Mr. Falk.

Beverly

He one of my fav actors..anyways so funny he will be greatly missed by all his favs R.I.P

David B

I agree with several comments here about "The In-Laws." Sooo darn funny. And "Columbo" was the best! Loved the way he reeled the bad guys in like sucker fish.

justme

Another great one lost. RIP Mr. Falk.

Peter Mydean

Holy Falk!!!!

john johnson

r.i.p. peter

shook

Ossining will always remember you! Cheers from Prospect Ave. O-TOWN

kitnplayn

A real likeable character. R.I.P.

If sense were common everyone would have it.

Ah, Mr. Falk! Just one more thing...Rest in Peace.

mjl

Columbo was great. i even watched the reruns when ever i could catch them. it was like reading a good 'who done it' in every episode. rest in peace my good man.

emerald

Aah, this is so sad, I was shocked when I first heard about the Alzeimers when it first came out, this is or should I say was one of the most talented Directors who was a part of so many other things than just Columbo - though I loved him as Columbo and his "oh, just one more thing.." line lol!
You will be greatly missed Peter Falk, may you finally rest in peace;

Becca

My Mom loved Columbo, and I loved watching him when I was little. I remember being able to stay up past bedtime once a week when Peter Falk was on.

Class act all the way. I'll never forget him and Alan Arkin in The In-Laws. I watched it a couple of weeks ago, and it still holds up well.