Mackenzie Phillips -- Addiction Counselor

6/26/2011 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"Celebrity Rehab" alum Mackenzie Phillips is in the process of becoming a certified drug and alcohol rehabilitation counselor ... TMZ has learned.

0624_phillips_ex_1

Sources connected to the actress tell us ... Phillips -- who famously struggled with substance abuse for years --- is roughly half-way through a certification program and hopes to use her experience to help struggling addicts acknowledge and defeat their demons.

We're told Mackenzie's progress will be captured for a new reality show called "No Relapse" produced by powerhouse reality company 44 Blue ... and sources connected to the project tell us the show is already getting, "Strong interest from multiple networks."

Observer999

Best of luck to her, I wish her well.

Sandra

Hope she does well as she is a survivor!!

RonBurgundy

That would be like Mel Gibson counseling abused women.

nof

For every 100 child stars that slip into obscurity and/or outright die from the stress and pressure of it all -

There's a Mackenzie Phillips -

Telling the truth about her life -

And about who she is -

Who she's become -

I've always loved this chick -

And always will -

Nof

makeitstop

I thought this was wonderful until I read the plug about the reality show.

RJ Hunt

I'll drink to that...and even shoot a lil smack...All for Mac!!!!

Lizzie

Hoooooooooooray!!!! I wish "Mac" allllllllll the BEST!!!! MAX, MAX, MAX, MAX, MAX, MAX, MAX!!!!!!!!!!! Hey little tiny, Harvey,
how's the temp waaaaaaaaaay down there!!!!!!!!

dd

I think she'll be great at it, good job!

Kàt

Way to go! I wish you all the best, and much happiness. You have been to hell and back, to hell and back, to hell and back... well it's time that you actually emerge from the pits of hell and show this world what you are made of. We have all the faith in the world in you! You will be saving a number of poeples lives I'm sure.

Bubbles The Chimp

Oh. This will go well.

Yeah Right!!! She is far from a recovering addict.

Tony C

Way to exploit people with addiction! I think it is great if she just gets certified and helps without any camera's around. Try that for a change.

irish35

A lot of addicts become drug and alcohol counselors. It makes sense. I think that their having this experience in their own lives, and knowing that you can beat it, that you can live clean and sober gives them an edge over someone who is just book learned and College degree in this field. Although she did have to take courses and has to get her certification. I think she will be great as a D&A counselor.

Rider

You don't televise and exploit addiction treatment and support.

PokerStar

I hope she can help someone. Her father really messed her up.

anni

She seems like a very nice girl, but, I think she did this before. She got 'sober' and went on the talkshow circut telling everyone about it, but started using during. She would sit all screwed up telling people she was sober. There is a trust problem with her and the public.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments