Chris Brown & Rihanna

In BET Awards Screw-Up

6/27/2011 5:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Wanna see a REALLY, REALLY awkward moment at the BET Awards??? Look no further ...

0627_bet_awards_video
Some "lucky" BET viewers were chosen to present the viewer's choice award at the show last night ... but there was a HUGE mistake ... because someone put the wrong name on the teleprompter.

So the lucky fan read the winner as "Chris Brown" ... but quickly recanted and said, "I'm sorry, the winner is Rihanna."  But that wasn't the case either ...

Despite the fact that Rihanna's name appeared on the video screen as the winner ... one of the presenters chimed in for a THIRD time and announced Drake as the winner!!! Drake then appeared on stage to collect his trophy.

Drake gave a short speech and described the whole thing as awkward. Understatement.

After the awards, a BET rep announced that Brown was the correct winner -- and chalked the whole thing up to a "human error" on the part of BET producers.

0627_BET_footer

whospam

Don't hate...... It's black people like you who rant and rave about racism that actually start the hate pool...every channel on tv is NOT white television....a black president would be great if he actually acted on the world issues instead of trying to be accepted by Hollywood standards, and just for the record...TMZ posted your dumb ass ignorant comments for us to read...I think it's called freedom of speech...next time you wanna slam someone you should use facts not fiction and spell check so you don't look like an idiot...oops you already do!

Valstann

bet blows ..
and that was so whack zh|t .. i thinking the prompter guy was mocking rihanna

Erin

Not sure how this has turned into a black/white thing. Well...yes I am. Some people take every post about someone black and use every slur they can think of. Safely behind their computer screen though, kinda like the modern day KKK...the internet is their "sheet."

Anyway, 2 things:

1. BET does NOT exclude white people. People who say this have obviously never watched BET and are reacting solely to the name. Justin Bieber, Eminem, Robin Thicke, and Justin Timberlake have all been nominated for awards. (DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a fan of BET either. Just a fan of FACTS).

2. I agree that BET did this on purpose, but didn't let the "lucky viewer" in on their publicity stunt. Hence, my comment above about not being a fan. Shame on you, BET.

who dat

This was totally staged phony BS. BET brought in three unknown patsies to take the fall on this obvious publicity stunt.

Maryann

If that was supposed to be a joke about "What's my name" they should have just stuttered on Drake

jason

I'm just glad I beat her!! (at the awards)

Marla G

Maybe she should watch her back....CHRIS BROWN might be mad and come after her!!!!!!!!

ness

BET=Joke!

Drita

From all the comments in this blog the proce for the most ignorant goes to Wendy, she says the U.S. is only white people's country....
"Wendy 6 hours ago
Well, I'm not racist either and I know that there are two channels that EXPLICTLY state they are for HISPANIC ENTERTAINMENT only. TELEMUNDO and UNIVISION. But if we objected the Hispanics would hollar it's racist. I have the same problems at my work where the P.Ricans call me "white girl" and "Invader" and that the "border crossed us we didn't cross the border" tripe. ABC, NBC and CBS never claimed to exclude Hispanics they were included but they still felt the need to have exclusive TV stations for them alone. The Academy , the Golden Globes and the rest do include the Hispanics but they still invented award shows to cater only to them... The Ritmo Awards and the ALMA awards. White people don't do that and it's our country."

Drita

I mean prize, not proce...

Bean

I'm with tink981 where's the WET channel. Been waiting for years why there is not one.

Bean

Don't care for anything c brown. Someday he might grow up but I doubt it.

teebag

That was no accident. You can clearly hear someone say "read it as written" from behind the set. I think Chris was set up. He won, they didn't want him to get up on stage, so they throw in the Rihanna won line after just to remind everyone how big an ass and fool Chris is... then gave it to Drake to accept. I bet Drake knew he didn't actually win all along... Seriously, what was he doing right there off stage unless he was told to accept the award, hence the "this is awkward moment". All staged. But, ya know, Chris deserves to be dissed.

as I was sayin

LOVE LOVE LOVED BET AWARDS SHOW FOR 2011. THE WHOLE SHOW WAS FANTASTIC! BET KEEP UP THE GOOD WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jen