« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Dodger Beating Victim's Family: TMZ Is Being Unfair

6/28/2011 11:17 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The family of Bryan Stow -- the man who was brutally beaten outside Dodger Stadium -- is upset at TMZ's stories over the last day, claiming a remark about a hot dog in no way justified the beating.

0628_bryan_stow_EX2

Stow's family is upset that we posted the video, showing Stow in a verbal altercation with a Dodger fan.  The Dodger fan, Juan Banda, claims Stow had loudly said, "I rather eat my own feces than a Dodger dog."

A rep for the family tells TMZ, "There has been enough hurt and pain for Bryan, his family, friends and especially his two young children."  The rep believes we suggested Bryan's attack may have been warranted.

The rep says, "Banter is expected at any sporting event.  Violence should not be.  Bryan is not a violent person.  That shows as he remains seated, hands up as someone is in his face yelling.  Over what? Comments about a hot dog?!!"

tmz-top-comments-banner
MightyMad MightyMad

So... the reason why he got himself beat up isn't as important as the beat down itself then? Idiotic logic - 'not saying he got what he deserved, but, if he shut his mouth up, nothing would have probably happen to him...

Jay Jay

You dont kick someone brains in over a hot dog comment.

Maverick Maverick

It's quite possible that Bryan Stow was shooting his mouth off. And pissed someone off. No matter what, his beating was completely unjustified. But it's possible that Stow is not quite the angel everyone thinks he is. And perhaps his family should realize that.

tmz-top-comments-banner
MightyMad MightyMad

Jay Jay

You dont kick someone brains in over a hot dog comment.

Maverick Maverick

Carl Carl

Obviously the violence was not warranted and the perpetrators are scum that need to be behind bars. That being said... it is generally a bad idea to piss people off for no reason. If I (as a white person) were to go into a minority neighborhood and started shouting racial epithets I wouldn't deserve to be beaten into a coma, but I'd be stupid to not think that it could happen.

Dan Dan

So I guess the family did not want the general public to see that Bryan was not the angelic person they have portrayed him to be.

Lauren Ashley Lauren Ashley

Well if it matters, personally I would rather eat feces than a dodger dog too. Dodger fans are insane. I was at an Angels vs Dodger game and I can't even tell you how many fights were started in the parking lot by Dodger fans. L.A. shouldnt be allowed any sports teams, they don't know how to play nice. i.e- Lakers, Dodger, Raiders..

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

noneofyourbusiness

I don't care if someone called me a honky white b^tch, I'm still not going to beat them within an inch of their life. Nothing you can SAY to me (especially when you don't even know me) really even affects me. I think that no matter what, that man did nothing to deserve what he was delt. I think it's a terrible shame our society has gotten so completely out of hand. Mob mentality is a really bad thing....and TMZ promotes it within its very website.

Rico

Is trash talk a part of the game? Yes. Do we as Americans believe that we can run off at the mouth without any consequences? Maybe. My parents and grandparents were good ol fashioned Americans. If you ran off at the mouth about something they were passionate about(be it their family, US Military, their town, American Flag, etc) you best be prepared for some action.

Debs626

I don't care what he said about a hot dog or anything else, it doesn't give those a-holes a reason to beat this man within an inch of his life, nothing more than low life thugs!!!

Bob

Samantha,
You're ignorant and naive. He didn't "talk about a hot dog", he was (I'm presuming) shouting out things that had the express purpose of pissing people off. NOONE is saying there was any justification for what happened to Bryan. It was tragic and I hope they find the thug(s) that did it and send them away for good. But for the love of God, stop pretending like Bryan was Wally Cleaver and he whispered something about not enjoying his hot dog. It makes you sound like a simpleton.

carmen

Obviously he didn't deserve the "beat down" he got..but if you're going to run your mouth in a situation that has you not only surrounded by crazed fans but has alcohol added to the mix..then you should probably practice a bit of restraint...just saying.

Nicky Zaa Zaa

The family is correct is saying that violence is unacceptable at a sporting event and that his comments did not justify a beating. WITH THAT SAID, let us refer back to the media claims that Brian was an innocent bystander - a victim of an unprovoked attack. When you mix alcohol with instigating remarks, you often end up with violence. Right or wrong, if he did not want to provoke anyone he should not have said anything. Again, the violence is not justified, but Dodger fans have been given and unfair wrap as merciless persecutors of rival fans.

john

batner is not expected at sporting events. going and having a good time and cheering on your team is what people expect to do without having issues from other fans.

everyone is a victim!!!!

HarryPalms

Bryan Stow was asking for it. He's not the first to run his mouth during a sporting event, only to end up as another sign on the pavement. Bad thing about the coma... but being from San Francisco doesn't imply he's a loving individual.

Hope he gets well soon, and recognizes his own fault.

LOOK-MOM-IM-DEAD

NOW HE WISHS HE HAD COMPLETED THE KARATE COURSE HIS MOM SIGNED HIM UP FOR...
NOBODY BODDERS MEEEEE
THE FAMILY SHOULD JUST KEEP QUIET AND SUE THE YANKEES

HarryPalms

Stow's family is upset that TMZ posted the video, showing Stow in a verbal altercation with a Dodger fan... because it proves Bryan Stow was taunting other drunks like himself and, therefore, their case against the Dodger home-boy will fall.

tim

..the plot thickens. Bryan Stow does look like a jerk,,with those sideburns..i mean come on! really..are you serious!?

nof

Provocative behavior/language shouldn't warrant violence, yet we all know that it has/does.

That it's a component of violence.

We're literally risking our lives -

When we're provocative on the freeways or the streets -

Just because we're in a public place -

Doesn't guarantee our safety -

Because we will be followed out to the parking lot -

Those that get out of their cars during/after a traffic dispute -

i.e. Further their own danger -

Increase their own chances of dying -

This doesn't diminish a wrong done -

But it does shed more light on what happened that night -

And something most of us suspected all along.

A conflict that escalated.

I bite my lip no matter what -

-it's a rule I have -

"First bite your lip - then - if necessary - bite thy lip a second or third time."

I haven't had a fight since elementary school.

I have all of my teeth.

No one's ever shot at me -

Or pulled a knife on me -

I walk away, walk away, walk away ...

Have been called sissy and whiss and *****y more times than I can recount here .

Taunting me doesn't work, doesn't sucker me in, doesn't entice me to use violence or grab a hammer.

I just don't and won't go there.

Sorry about length, TMZ, but this one's important.

UDntNo

although no one deserves to be beat into mental destruction, sounds like the "victim" tried talking "smack" and got the smack down for it... guess he couldn't back up his own smack talking... should have kept his mouth shut...

pinkpixy

The only thing that video shows is that Banda made an effort to get up out of his seat, and walk a few rows back to confront Stow. In other words, he went out of his way to get in Stow's face to finger point and intimidate. Stow's family should sue the HELL out of Harvey and TMZ for its biased and negligent "journalism".

ed

i know lots of ******** that need their skulls kicked in. you know, the type of guys that NEED to be pricks all the time and basically hide behind our social contract of 'you can't touch me'. lots of women do that too, in marriage and relationships..but every now and then they do it to the wrong person and ...viola! respirator or morgue. i think the take home message is that you can be right, or you can be dead right...it's your choice. a judge and cops are not always there to protect you, so open your mouth carefully. oh and by the way, he does look like a d-bag in this picture. just saying.