Timberlake: Forget Facebook, I'm Backing MySpace!

6/29/2011 3:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

At least one person still believes in MySpace -- because Justin Timberlake just purchased a considerable stake in the sinking ship.

0629_Justin_timberlake_getty_bn

Timberlake has not revealed how much he's invested in the company -- which News Corp. sold off today for somewhere between $30-40 million.

According to the official announcement, Justin -- who starred in "The Social Network" -- will "play a major role in developing the creative direction and strategy for [MySpace] moving forward."

JT released his own statement -- saying, "There’s a need for a place where fans can go to interact with their favorite entertainers, listen to music, watch videos, share and discover cool stuff and just connect ... MySpace has the potential to be that place."

Has ... had ... what's the difference?

Debbie

He admits he's not much computer literate anyways. What he's stating people can do on Facebook. Anyways most celebrites do Twitter and when it forwards to Facebook they don't even interact with their fans on Facebook. They're just getting paid to Twitter that forwards to Facebook.

jack-55d79

@Name: "You people realize that Facebook is just a fad right? Yesterday it was Myspace, Today its Facebook, and tomorrow it will be something else. Then you will all be on here posting the same negative comments just with Facebook in place of Myspace."

I did think that three or four years ago, but I've been amazed at how much/many people use Facebook and its age range. It's almost a permanent fixture in a lot of people's lives, from their telephones to their computers. I can't remember MySpace ever reaching that level of ubiquity or continued usage. So while I think it's possible something could unseat Facebook they'll have a long way to catch up. MySpace didn't have that insanely large userbase. I'm not so keen on it myself.

G

I personally like Myspace for checking out new Music and supporting the bands I like. Who cares if you and your "friends" delete those useless personal pages?
Facebook status "follow the vain"

mid

I know musicians who use myspace as their main web presence. It works.

...jack-55d79, aye, you got it.

Moon

Its been sold off cos no one uses it, what a mug.

hahaha

myspace is trash. It is the walmart of social networking..no one will ever use that garbage again, and if you are still on that crap you must be from the south, just like Timberlake is southern and you know they are all a lil slow. Twitter is the way to go.

Chad

Doesn't Justin know that myspace is dead and gone dead and gone?!

Sue

Didn't JC Chasez try and do this about 8 years ago? I believe it was called Music Freedom.com

MattC

Go MySpace! Facebook sucks! You all do realize that virtually everything you encounter on Facebook is fraudulent and the entire space is a breeding ground for hackers and thieves. So, go ahead, give the public all your personal info. Say hello to ruin.

candy luna

I will never erase my myspace because I met my husband through myspace but I honestly dont use it anymore ever since the last changes I dont even understand that site anymore I like the way it was originally

justagirl

Myspace used to be the !@#$% until they started changing what you could post. When they put a stop to us being able to install our own music playlists that was the first thing that drove me away. They also limited my graphics and after I did so much to pimp out my page I just left. Boo to whatever idiot came up with all of those changes. They should've just left it the way it was.

tim

Do you really think Justin put a DIME of his own money in? it's probably your standard equity for service deal.

Politico Pablo

That's cheap for an established internet site platform. It sold for a fraction of what it was worth a few years ago. If they can revive it, he stands to make a fortune. Risk a little, make a lot.

Taylor Dadson

MySpace is soooo 2005.

RealityBites

Myspace was too much work, that's why I went to Facebook, deleted myspace and never went back and never will....

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments