John Lennon LOVED Reagan ... Says Ex-Assistant

6/30/2011 9:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Left-wing anti-war icon John Lennon turned his back on the liberal agenda before he died ... this according to his former assistant who says the "Beatles" singer wanted to vote for Ronald Reagan.

0630_john_reagan_BN

John's ex-assistant Fred Seaman dropped the bombshell in a new documentary called "Beatles Stories" -- claiming, Lennon was "embarrassed" by his anti-war radicalism.

Seaman claims, "[Lennon] was a very different person back in 1979 and 80 than he'd been when he wrote 'Imagine.' By 1979 he, looked back on that guy and was embarrassed by that guy's naivete."

According to Seaman, "John, basically, made it very clear that if he were an American he would vote for Reagan because he was really sour on Jimmy Carter."

But Seaman's credibility isn't exactly untarnished -- back in 1983, the man pled guilty to stealing Lennon's photos and diaries ... and was sentenced to five years probation.

Gordon

"MNF" ["Monday Night Football"] could ... bring together the most unlikely people. The weirdest scene I ever witnessed in the booth happened in 1976. The night before a game in Los Angeles, I ran into John Lennon at a ****tail party promoting the release of a Beatles collection. On impulse, I invited him on the show. He liked the idea but warned me he knew nothing about football. Meanwhile, I'd forgotten we had arranged for Ronald Reagan to come on the same show. Now it was just before halftime. I turned around, and there was Ronald Reagan with his arm around Lennon, explaining what was going on down on the field. And John looked absolutely enthralled. Here were two of the most political, ideological, and cultural opposites on the entire planet in the Monday-night booth -- acting exactly like father and son!" – Frank Gifford - "The Whole Ten Yards"

toad

L I A R

Criss

I'm calling shena****ns.

some guy

Ok... all I wanna know is: Who started these wars? Not sure but I think i saw one of them burning in a movie somewhere.

Why is Obama getting crap b/c he has to clean up someone else's mess? That whole situation in the Mideast is a ******* mess. I wish the U.S. would get out of there entirely and get away from all the fanaticism and zeal.

Shame about that oil thing, though. Maybe we can siphon off their tanks while they aren't looking.

travcm

How is this breaking news? Was it not well-known that Lennon had abandoned a lot of his earlier views by the late 70s? In fact, this is one of the motives his assassin had. He felt like Lennon was a fraud because he no longer stood for the same things.

some guy

Ugh think I need a break.

Tyler

Oh, yeah. Lennon was a Reagan fan like I think Bill O'reilly is the second coming of Christ. (If you cant pick up my sarcasm, you may need glasses) Just another retired P.A. who's trying to get his hand in the cookie jar and tarnish the man's reputation. I wouldn't waste my time on this one TMZ

Ball`s has no Ball`s

Just let it be!

Kiko

The only thing that John Lennon had in common with Ronald Reagan was that they both had sex with David Bowie. Aside from that, not so much.

some guy

I was thinking about American History... I remember reading somewhere that the U.S. would go through occasional periods of isolationism from the rest of the world.

Maybe it's time for that. We definitely have enough problems of our own without having to worry about someone else's. Except Lindsay's.

jonnoble53

wow- how Harvey let this story on. Here are the holes in this story. 1) If lennon could have voted he would have voted for reagan - HE COULD VOTE FOR REAGAN- he only died on december 8th, so he could have voted. 2) if he were an american citizen- HE WAS! This ******* fred seaman should go on Howard Stern

BJ Rocks

who cares!

rhbjorn

So John Lennon matured as he got older, not really a surprise.

HarryPalms

Liar

some guy

Only thing I would be worried about is: What's gonna happen to the rest of the world? Are they all gonna just kill each other in a violent Armageddon? Or are they gonna man up and deal with their problems... in bed.