John Lennon LOVED Reagan ... Says Ex-Assistant

6/30/2011 9:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Left-wing anti-war icon John Lennon turned his back on the liberal agenda before he died ... this according to his former assistant who says the "Beatles" singer wanted to vote for Ronald Reagan.

0630_john_reagan_BN

John's ex-assistant Fred Seaman dropped the bombshell in a new documentary called "Beatles Stories" -- claiming, Lennon was "embarrassed" by his anti-war radicalism.

Seaman claims, "[Lennon] was a very different person back in 1979 and 80 than he'd been when he wrote 'Imagine.' By 1979 he, looked back on that guy and was embarrassed by that guy's naivete."

According to Seaman, "John, basically, made it very clear that if he were an American he would vote for Reagan because he was really sour on Jimmy Carter."

But Seaman's credibility isn't exactly untarnished -- back in 1983, the man pled guilty to stealing Lennon's photos and diaries ... and was sentenced to five years probation.

TMZfan10000

Totally untrue.

But what is true is that John Lennon could flap his arms and fly around central park.

some guy

@lander

I'm guessing your name is Ann Landers.

some guy

Sry Ann, but I don't have the strength to troll you right now.

Kathy

Another word. Conservatives LOVE to rewrite history. Here we go again!

Kathy

Very convenient. Thirty years ago. Why believe this guy? Ask Yoko--she is the only one I would trust with this answer.

Joe Smo

Lander you are probably one of those people that others can only stomach briefly before they are completely disgusted by your personality. You say we all are wasting our time online yet here you are. I bet your girl's name is Rosy Palm. That's all that needs to be said.

b.mclane

You have to love those who cling to their political religion. Refusing to accept what their own eyes see. Any of you ever heard the Beatles song."The TAXMAN" ??? Lennon was a brave, smart man who at heart was a Capitalist. He had no desire to work and let the STATE take all he earned either. Ever ask yourself why Lennon lived in NYC?? How about why U2 has its headquarters in the Netherlands?? TAXES my wee socialist wannna bees. TAXES. Makes sense to me Lennon would prefer a smaller Gov't kind of guy to the Huge Gov't loving Carter.

Damon

A simple solution: ask the remaining beattles!

Jenny

A lot of people voted against Carter and not for Reagan...and then they regretted it for the rest of their lives? Hmm. They defintiely weren't regretting it after that first term when he carried all but one state and DC to be elected for his second term. Still not too many regretting it when he finished his second term with something like a 60% approval rating.

P.S. Typical headline for TMZ. Voting for anyone but Carter somehow turned into "Lennon LOVES Reagan".

Tripod

Could be true. When I was younger I was very Liberal as I got older and understood politics better I became more moderate.

irish35

Never believe what a third party says in regards to what a dead person thought, did or wanted to do in the past.

some guy

@TMZ

Ok. Gonna work out in a bit. While I'm there, if something different happens, then I'll know that some of the stuff I've been seeing wasn't all in my head. If nothing different happens, then I'll know it was all just in my head and go back to my video games.

Damon

Where's his proof? Otherwise, it's just the word of a crook!

some guy

@Damon

Sry I was still trolling. Want some more?

bill

This is all a big fat lie. This story began on Drudge Report a lie and is becoming even more of a lie. First, Lennon preferred Reagan over Carter. Now he LOVES Reagan? I don't think so, people. NO F---ING WAY.