Maria Shriver

Files for Divorce

7/1/2011 3:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned Maria Shriver has pulled the trigger on her marriage ... she just filed for divorce from Arnold Schwarzenegger ... and we've learned, there is NO PRENUP.

Maria Shriver Divorce
In the divorce petition, obtained by TMZ, Shriver cites "irreconcilable differences" as her reason for ending the 25-year marriage.

Shriver is asking for spousal support and wants the judge to deny Arnold the right to ask for support for himself-- though it's highly unlikely he would.

Shriver is asking for joint custody of their minor children, who she names in the document as 17-year-old "Patrick Arnold Shriver Schwarzenegger" and 13-year-old "Christopher Sargent Shriver Schwarzenegger."

And, in the petition, filed by disso-queen Laura Wasser, Shriver is asking Arnold to pay the attorneys' fees of both parties.

As for the date Arnold and Maria separated ... it isn't specified in the divorce papers.

According to the docs, the property accumulated during the marriage will be divided at a later date.  And, sources tell TMZ, there is no prenup, so all of Arnold and Maria's earnings over the past quarter century will be divided 50/50.

Sources close to the couple tell TMZ ...  Arnold and Maria are on speaking terms and Arnold knew beforehand that she was filing divorce papers. Maria is telling friends she hopes this will be an easy and amicable divorce.

0701_arnold_maria_split_footer

tmz-top-comments-banner
Poncha Poncha

Arnold lost his family, money and reputation for a roll in the hay. Why not just take a cold shower. I thought he was smart, but I guess he is dumb after all. Was it worth it? NO! He's been ERASED ! ! ! !

SandyLester SandyLester

Huh? I thought Kennedys didn't care about infidelity.

kar kar

Good luck for the people who work it out with a cheater. I for one think I am worth more than that and deserve only the best.

tmz-top-comments-banner
Poncha Poncha

SandyLester SandyLester

Huh? I thought Kennedys didn't care about infidelity.

kar kar

Googie Googie

Asta la vista Arnold. Get him where it hurts, his money.

Barbarascy Barbarascy

I'm actually sad to see them divorcing. But some things just can't be fixed. I'd say this is one of them.

jpierce26 jpierce26

can't help but being blunt....good for her he is a D-bag. The worst kind.

MIKE MIKE

GOOD! I Hope she takes the pig to the cleaners!

Paul Paul

Who's the "Terminator" now?

Superman Superman

Kinda sad. He pretty much came out of nowhere and practically begged her to marry him. Then after they marry, he cheats on her for decades with many women. Greedy sc*mbag forgot to count his blessings. Same story, different rich guy.

NoName

He won't be baaaaak this time.....

shawn

She will deal with cheating, she wont deal with the embarassment of this being out in public!

reily

Sad to see this but if she had been giving it up then he would not have gone else where for it .

robert s

i hope arnold gets back into movies ..hes lousy in government and als in family life

Dort

Never did like him, now I know why. He's a scrum bag.
Good luck to Maria.

Bill

Looks like the sperminator has been terminated.

Kelly Miller

Maria has know for several years that was Arnie's baby. Just waited till her mom and dad kicked the bucket.

cindy

he **** in his own nest

Aimee

Well he did this to himself! Everyone thought Arnold was bad*ss!
when he did Terminator, Terminator 2, Predator, and people only realated to Arnold as an actor.... the bad-ss who kick a-ss in movies! He had everyone fooled! Maria should take him for everything he has! He knows he messed up but then again everyone makes mistakes and if you you a secret don't announce it to the world! Thats why its a secret! DUH! Now when I look at him I just call him the s***ator!

Goose

Hey; watch that about you saying to "take him to the cleaners". My ex wife did that to me; and it was total hell for me. Only difference is; I didnt do anything to deserve it. I wouldnt wish that upon anyone to have it happen to them.

Annie

Maria deserves so much more than a cheating, womanizing husband. I hope they can move on and she can find happiness with or without a man . People do not take ito consideration that they are cheating not only on their spouse, but their children, friends and everyone in their life. They are liars.

Travelertoo

I don't blame her, the woman he did was fatter than a pig and look like 30 miles of bad road.

Patrick Batemen

@Marty Mcfly, she has WAY more money than he does, so how is she going to live off his money?

Jack

He WONT be back!

John

He must have forgotten about the "11th Commandment": Thou Shalt Not Stick Thy Rod in Thy Staff