Maria Shriver

Files for Divorce

7/1/2011 3:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned Maria Shriver has pulled the trigger on her marriage ... she just filed for divorce from Arnold Schwarzenegger ... and we've learned, there is NO PRENUP.

Maria Shriver Divorce
In the divorce petition, obtained by TMZ, Shriver cites "irreconcilable differences" as her reason for ending the 25-year marriage.

Shriver is asking for spousal support and wants the judge to deny Arnold the right to ask for support for himself-- though it's highly unlikely he would.

Shriver is asking for joint custody of their minor children, who she names in the document as 17-year-old "Patrick Arnold Shriver Schwarzenegger" and 13-year-old "Christopher Sargent Shriver Schwarzenegger."

And, in the petition, filed by disso-queen Laura Wasser, Shriver is asking Arnold to pay the attorneys' fees of both parties.

As for the date Arnold and Maria separated ... it isn't specified in the divorce papers.

According to the docs, the property accumulated during the marriage will be divided at a later date.  And, sources tell TMZ, there is no prenup, so all of Arnold and Maria's earnings over the past quarter century will be divided 50/50.

Sources close to the couple tell TMZ ...  Arnold and Maria are on speaking terms and Arnold knew beforehand that she was filing divorce papers. Maria is telling friends she hopes this will be an easy and amicable divorce.

0701_arnold_maria_split_footer

tmz-top-comments-banner
Poncha Poncha

Arnold lost his family, money and reputation for a roll in the hay. Why not just take a cold shower. I thought he was smart, but I guess he is dumb after all. Was it worth it? NO! He's been ERASED ! ! ! !

SandyLester SandyLester

Huh? I thought Kennedys didn't care about infidelity.

kar kar

Good luck for the people who work it out with a cheater. I for one think I am worth more than that and deserve only the best.

tmz-top-comments-banner
Poncha Poncha

SandyLester SandyLester

Huh? I thought Kennedys didn't care about infidelity.

kar kar

Googie Googie

Asta la vista Arnold. Get him where it hurts, his money.

Barbarascy Barbarascy

I'm actually sad to see them divorcing. But some things just can't be fixed. I'd say this is one of them.

jpierce26 jpierce26

can't help but being blunt....good for her he is a D-bag. The worst kind.

MIKE MIKE

GOOD! I Hope she takes the pig to the cleaners!

Paul Paul

Who's the "Terminator" now?

Superman Superman

Kinda sad. He pretty much came out of nowhere and practically begged her to marry him. Then after they marry, he cheats on her for decades with many women. Greedy sc*mbag forgot to count his blessings. Same story, different rich guy.

jmedwar

ok, great for both of them,,,may they live happily everafter...may this be the last we hear form either of them,,,next item on menu pls...these soap operas are extremely distasteful.....

Vivi

I love how all the men come on here thinking that Arnold is the "breadwinner" and therefore it is his money. Puhleeze it is THEIR money. She gave up her career to raise the kids! It is her money and the kids money to! Just because he gets the paycheck doesn't mean the money is HIS when he has a wife and kids to support. I know she has money to but when she isn't working she isn't getting a steady income and her trust fund is just that- her trust fund. So man up douchebag guys who think that your money is only yours when you are married. Your wifes career is inside the home keeping your house, raising your kids and doting on you while you have some sense of entitlement and go f*ck around and then think you don't owe your wife anything. You guys make me SICK!!!!! My dad cheated on my mom and screwed her out of so much money claiming it was HIS. Now they are in debt with a mortgage that should have been paid a long time ago! She was faithful to him, loved him, doted on him, raised his kids and he took advantage of her. I am so SICK of you douchebags who think the money you make is only YOURS. If you get divorced then your wife who has invested her LIFE with you deserves HALF. MAN UP! Be a man- my god where are all the real men? You know Arnold may be a cheat but I bet you he isn't a whiny b*tch like you emasculated morons with your sorry *ss anti female posts.

Yuck.

Vivi

WOW Tom- so much for true love. I guess men don't really love do they? It's all about looks and if you are not attractive then they feel entitled to go elsewhere. No wonder women are fed up.

Most women (not all - I know there are some less than stellar women out there to) however - MORE women than men are just stronger. We don't generally run away like whiny little babies when the "going gets tough".

Men look for any excuse to run away and blame the wife. If you were real men you would respect, love adore and cherish your wife. She will respond with much affection. You wonder why we go cold and become bitter? Because we still cater to your *ss and you kick back and take advantage of it without giving back. Then we no longer enjoy doting on you. We realize we are being taken for granted. So of course we become bitter. The what do you do? Instead of being a MAN you go off elsewhere because your wife isn't the sweet loving thing she used to be. You wonder WHY??? Men you have to take the initiative and we respond with showers of love in return. It doesn't work the other way around generally because men see this as an opportunity in which they don't have to contribute since the wife is taking care of everything. I mean I can't believe how shallow and moronic you guys can be.

teddy Galea

I am tired of this hoopla about these royalties getting married and now this D/BAG come a lot

Kath

All the best to YOU and the kids, Maria!

Chau Stotelmyre

It is tough to hang on until "death do us part." Most of us said we would, but in reality it takes lots of sacrifices to be together. Hence, whoever could hang on deserve a real medal! Who among us can cast the first stone at someone about their wrong doings?

P

How painful what Arnie did!!! Maria devoted herself in the marriage for 25 years. She's beatiful; gave birth to great kids;quit her job years ago, under Arnie's forceful request to have a family;she devoted all her time to stand by Arnie when he ran for governor of Cailf.
What does that say about Maria? And Arnie cheating on her? "Thou shalt NOT commit adultry". Oooohhhh Arnie, you're going to get it! (God can heal all things; and forgiveness can happen; I have seen marriages heal, including mine)...but for now;follow through and move foward, Maria.

Sumbunnie

Cheaters don't think far enough ahead to realize it's just not worth it, if you really want out just go. Both her and him are rich I think she just wants child support to stick it to him, and why shouldn't she he's embarassed the whole family and that kills the other persons self-esteem. 25 years is a long time to devote to a marriage that was supposed to be forever.

Rudy2

There's nothing good about any of this. A Marriage has died. His Wife is a tower of strenght and if there are blue bloods, She's definity at the top of the class.

HP

I lift tings up and put dem down !!! Duh

Cheickna

Maria Shriver can land a job any time of day or night in this country, and whith a handsome salary. Why is she asking for child support? And why would she ask the judge to deny Arnold his right to request child support from her? Both of these are rich! If we want an easy and amicable divorce then let us let the judge decide fairly, for the sake of the kids, if nothing else.

the love

Lies, lies, lies. Can true love survive that? No way! Cheating, liar, phony. Loser Arnold!

Lisa

Terminator couldnt keep his **** in his pants...PIG

Ahhhh Maria...You are a descendant of the Kennedy Family. Why in the hell do you need half of Arnolds earnings... Or is this the writing on the wall that possibly your family is broke, and, you need cash to replenish the family bank accounts.

Just like a Cali Chick....Get as much cash & dash...

Gardy

I think ol Arnold is a PIG and Maria Shriver did not buy the Kennedy STAND BY YOUR MAN BULL CRAP. The woman is intelligent...and besides ..........Arnold sleeping with the MAID........that is like so disgusting and she was not even a pretty woman.....but then maybe she was hot tamale in the bed. Glad that Maria had the kindness to be be kind to the woman Arnold USED.........that shows that Maria Shriver is a CLASS ACT. And For the good of all three sons, Maria will make sure that the boys will not suffer from a STUPID FATHER. May they grow up and learn their one head from the other head...and treat women with respect and Honesty.

Previous 15 Comments | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments