Maria Shriver

Files for Divorce

7/1/2011 3:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned Maria Shriver has pulled the trigger on her marriage ... she just filed for divorce from Arnold Schwarzenegger ... and we've learned, there is NO PRENUP.

Maria Shriver Divorce
In the divorce petition, obtained by TMZ, Shriver cites "irreconcilable differences" as her reason for ending the 25-year marriage.

Shriver is asking for spousal support and wants the judge to deny Arnold the right to ask for support for himself-- though it's highly unlikely he would.

Shriver is asking for joint custody of their minor children, who she names in the document as 17-year-old "Patrick Arnold Shriver Schwarzenegger" and 13-year-old "Christopher Sargent Shriver Schwarzenegger."

And, in the petition, filed by disso-queen Laura Wasser, Shriver is asking Arnold to pay the attorneys' fees of both parties.

As for the date Arnold and Maria separated ... it isn't specified in the divorce papers.

According to the docs, the property accumulated during the marriage will be divided at a later date.  And, sources tell TMZ, there is no prenup, so all of Arnold and Maria's earnings over the past quarter century will be divided 50/50.

Sources close to the couple tell TMZ ...  Arnold and Maria are on speaking terms and Arnold knew beforehand that she was filing divorce papers. Maria is telling friends she hopes this will be an easy and amicable divorce.

0701_arnold_maria_split_footer

tmz-top-comments-banner
Poncha Poncha

Arnold lost his family, money and reputation for a roll in the hay. Why not just take a cold shower. I thought he was smart, but I guess he is dumb after all. Was it worth it? NO! He's been ERASED ! ! ! !

SandyLester SandyLester

Huh? I thought Kennedys didn't care about infidelity.

kar kar

Good luck for the people who work it out with a cheater. I for one think I am worth more than that and deserve only the best.

tmz-top-comments-banner
Poncha Poncha

SandyLester SandyLester

Huh? I thought Kennedys didn't care about infidelity.

kar kar

Googie Googie

Asta la vista Arnold. Get him where it hurts, his money.

Barbarascy Barbarascy

I'm actually sad to see them divorcing. But some things just can't be fixed. I'd say this is one of them.

jpierce26 jpierce26

can't help but being blunt....good for her he is a D-bag. The worst kind.

MIKE MIKE

GOOD! I Hope she takes the pig to the cleaners!

Paul Paul

Who's the "Terminator" now?

Superman Superman

Kinda sad. He pretty much came out of nowhere and practically begged her to marry him. Then after they marry, he cheats on her for decades with many women. Greedy sc*mbag forgot to count his blessings. Same story, different rich guy.

GreenMachine

Look at her and look at the Maid. Not much difference in Appearance! He is probably glad to get rid of both of them so he can sew his oats with someone new!

John

Arnold's starting to look old.

spudmans1

Like Limbaugh mentioned, Arnold maybe figured he was a Kennedy by marriage and that allowed him to color outside the lines like they all do, did and will do. Nope. Arnold is now realizing that the _____ you got isn't worth the _____ you get. It's cheaper to keep her. None of us "normals and/or small timers, etc." will ever know how the outside influence of money, fame, stardom would affect human beings and their relationships. Come on people, they made it for 25 years. I would call that a success not a failure. I doubt very much either of them will suffer much. They are not teenagers. They'll get through it just like everybody else who gets divorced. Bumps in the road, sure, but not the end of the road either. Their children will be fine also and maybe Maria and Arnold will probably be happier in the long run. give em a break

Dale Kendall

I just saddens me to hear of cheating on a spouse. having Sex is just not worth it.

MsPhoenix

She was to kind, how about adultry, infidelity....

juan

whats that jewboy pervert--weiners ---muslim wife waiting for ??/

Steve

Looks like she's doing him a big favor. Shooo! I couldn't wake up to something like that either.

MoonDust

GO MARIA!!!!! HIT HIM WHERE IT HURTS HIM, HIS BANK ACCOUNT!!!!!

Poncha

Poncha

What does he have now. Was it worth it Arnold. Da Da Da Dumb. You thought Maria would be like Rose and Jackie Kennedy. She is a liberated woman.

Kathy

Spousal support used to be called alimony. My mother's lawyer had her put $1 alimony in the papers in case she ever needed it, and my Dad paid $50 a month for each of my brothers, who were under 18. This was pretty much a token amount, and for good reason: He was an alcoholic and his business was failing, probably as a result. But when my mother had a stroke, I asked him to pay it and his third wife made sure he did.
There is a reason for spousal support and child support to be added, in case it is ever needed.

Barbara

Well, of course we all knew this was coming.. This, again, has been played out in the media. Oh, the price of fame and fortune. If this happened to some poor "regular" "Joe", we would never hear about an affair such as this, even tho it happens every day.

If they were "regular" people, they may/may not have "worked it out", but they never stood a chance considering "who" they are.

This is very grievous for all parties.. but you must pay the price for the consequences of your actions.. Always!

Joan

There is no question that this whole affair/child thing is wrong..BUT why is it always the guy's fault totally? She had to do the nasty too. She worked for them why didn't she just say NO! Your a married man! I just mean..it takes TWO to tango. If he pursues it or insists..you quit!!!Why does the woman never get torn apart for saying yes! He deserves what he gets but common...lets take her off the poor lady list and ask ourselves...no birth control? No condom? No JUST SAY NO~! Maybe she saw a meal ticket and so didn't object...sometimes you have to say...hmmmmm

realist

The only grounds for divorce (dissolution) in California is "Irreconcilable Differences". This is kind of a joke, since as soon as one spouse says "I want a divorce", and the other one says they don't, you have an Irreconcilable Difference.

Infidelity, Mental Cruelty, Physical Cruelty, Incurable Insanity don't matter anymore.

Casey