Rapper Xzibit: 'Planking' Is RACIST!!!

7/8/2011 9:22 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

It's the latest craze taking over the Internet -- lying face down in bizarre places, stiff as wood -- but rapper Xzibit is leading a new charge AGAINST "planking" ... claiming the practice has RACIST roots.

Planking Photos

Xzibit took to his Twitter recently, claiming, "Planking is THE dumbest sh*t ever. Planking was a way to transport slaves on ships during the slave trade, its not funny. Educate yourselves."

The rapper adds, "Dont get it twisted. I care less where your dumb asses lay face down and take pictures of the sh*t, I'm just telling you where it came from."

It's all probably news to Katy Perry, Demi Moore, Rosario Dawson (above), Chris Brown, and Justin Bieber -- who have ALL posted pics of themselves online ... looking board.

So we gotta ask ...

UPDATE:  Xzibit just tweeted re: TMZ:  "Wow.  They are trying to make me the Al Sharpton of planking.  #news?"

UPDATE:  From TMZ:  Yes, Al, news.

0708_planking_footer

tmz-top-comments-banner
TMZfan10000 TMZfan10000

Hitler scratched his ass Stalin scratched his ass Mao scratched his ass Scratching your ass means that you are a murderous dictator.

Julai Julai

He is correct that they used this positioning during slave transport but it included the wrists being shackled to the waist and usually multiple layers. I've seen Wil E. Coyote and Tom from Tom and Jerry use this gag positioning in cartoons but I never heard anyone cry "RACISM" for those planksters. Just stop crippling yourself with these victimizations and get on with your lives people.

Anon Anon

Who cares if it's racist! People should care more about the fact that this is the dumbest thing in the recorded history of man!

tmz-top-comments-banner
TMZfan10000 TMZfan10000

Julai Julai

Anon Anon

Kathy Kathy

I am sure everything is offensive if we really research it. LIGHTEN UP!!!!

Bradd01 Bradd01

I guess sleeping on your stomach is racist too...

Jennyy Jennyy

Xzibit may be right about where the term came from so many years ago however, there are no racial motives for the people now doing it all over the world. The goofy activity called "planking" started in Europe. The impression I get is that the idea is to be able to do it it really unusual places.

nicolee

that doesn't seem like a very efficient way to transport people...youd fit a lot more of them if they were sitting/standing. just sayin.

Maggie

Better stop breathing because I'm sure somebody's poor mistreated ancestor did that too.

Mandi

Rotten Puppets, Using the word "retarded" is offensive.

Julai

Carrie

Anything to get some press time since he hasn't been seen or heard of for years.

Cindy

Its a variation of an exercise move. A plank can also be done on your side. Tire of EVERYTHING being "racist" to some group. Get over yourselves already!

stella

while it is a very important thing to raise social consciousness, if you start expanding definitions of what is racism, sexism, homophobia, etc to an absurd degree - it can be totally counterproductive. number one because it makes you look like a whiner, and that turns people off and they stop listening. but more importantly, it is incredibly disrespectful to the people who have experienced true injustice. just imagine, a 60 year old black man describing how he was beaten up for dating a white woman, and a 20 year old black man saying "tell me about it. last night i caught my college roommate smiling at a picture of some kids planking. nothing ever changes!"

Ty

Research a bit and you'll find out Xzibit iZ a dumbass.

HM Murdock

Racist? Yeah so is using the N word. Oh but Xzibit does that in his music. Hypocrite.

Christa

Of course if you dont know the history it would seem harmeless to you but know the history behind it before you think its just something cool to do smh...maybe the next "cool" thing they are going to tie nooses around their neck

Bob

The guy wants attention. Take what he's saying with a grain of salt. He's doing the same "angry black man" routine that Tupac did for a while nearly 20 years ago (and reportedly couldn't stop cracking up about the outrageous things he had just said once the cameras were off).

jeff

I don't want it to be taken as a racist comment but wouldn't they have fit more slaves on the boat if they stood up?

21113d

I am an african-american female and am not offended by this at all. People, it's a phase; one that will quickly pass by like all others do!!! Yes, LIGHTEN UP!!!

anony

Dumbist sh8t ever--yes.
Racist--no.

Satanlka

I don't really care about what Xibit said, I'm just worried that these dumbass', late to the party "stars" are going to perpetuate this stupid fad. People have already died trying to plank in stupid places and falling. I guess really I should keep my mouth shut and let the stupidity filter out of the gene pool. However, my nephew is a stupid, impressionable teenager. So I have to speak for those too stupid to speak for themselves!