Rapper Xzibit: 'Planking' Is RACIST!!!

7/8/2011 9:22 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

It's the latest craze taking over the Internet -- lying face down in bizarre places, stiff as wood -- but rapper Xzibit is leading a new charge AGAINST "planking" ... claiming the practice has RACIST roots.

Planking Photos

Xzibit took to his Twitter recently, claiming, "Planking is THE dumbest sh*t ever. Planking was a way to transport slaves on ships during the slave trade, its not funny. Educate yourselves."

The rapper adds, "Dont get it twisted. I care less where your dumb asses lay face down and take pictures of the sh*t, I'm just telling you where it came from."

It's all probably news to Katy Perry, Demi Moore, Rosario Dawson (above), Chris Brown, and Justin Bieber -- who have ALL posted pics of themselves online ... looking board.

So we gotta ask ...

UPDATE:  Xzibit just tweeted re: TMZ:  "Wow.  They are trying to make me the Al Sharpton of planking.  #news?"

UPDATE:  From TMZ:  Yes, Al, news.

0708_planking_footer

tmz-top-comments-banner
TMZfan10000 TMZfan10000

Hitler scratched his ass Stalin scratched his ass Mao scratched his ass Scratching your ass means that you are a murderous dictator.

Julai Julai

He is correct that they used this positioning during slave transport but it included the wrists being shackled to the waist and usually multiple layers. I've seen Wil E. Coyote and Tom from Tom and Jerry use this gag positioning in cartoons but I never heard anyone cry "RACISM" for those planksters. Just stop crippling yourself with these victimizations and get on with your lives people.

Anon Anon

Who cares if it's racist! People should care more about the fact that this is the dumbest thing in the recorded history of man!

tmz-top-comments-banner
TMZfan10000 TMZfan10000

Julai Julai

Anon Anon

Kathy Kathy

I am sure everything is offensive if we really research it. LIGHTEN UP!!!!

Bradd01 Bradd01

I guess sleeping on your stomach is racist too...

Jennyy Jennyy

Xzibit may be right about where the term came from so many years ago however, there are no racial motives for the people now doing it all over the world. The goofy activity called "planking" started in Europe. The impression I get is that the idea is to be able to do it it really unusual places.

L

What a dumbass comment!

Nicole

Ridiculous...Xzibit needs to educate himself! Placing bodies in this position was also used during the holocaust to stack/bury the deceased. But this isn't in ANY WAY related to EITHER of these things. Grow up people. Get over yourselves. Your not the only victims of a cruel and hatefu...l world, and stop trying to find ways to further milk the injustices of your ancestors...all our roots run deep, all our ancestors have been treated poorly in one way or another. So annoying. I wonder if Xzibit celebrates Thanksgiving since it's a holiday celebrating us robbing Native Americans of their land and lives. People are so ignorant. Think before you go out stirring up trouble where there isn't any... we already have enough BS to worry about. Ugh! And every song of his I just looked up has the word '*****' in it. wth. Hypocrite. Seriously. So annoyed by this. We aren't going to get anywhere on the racial front if this kind of crap continues.

Thrasherfan

Yo, dawg! I heard you thought plankin' was racist. So we got you a plank to go with your plank.

Staffml

We live in a time where unemployment is at an all time high, people are trying to pay their bills and put food on the table and just live everyday as best they can and this is what is the new craze. It must be nice to not have to worry about anything in todays time and just BS your days away. People, especially those in the entertainment industry......GROW THE F**K UP!

shelley

This is silly. Planking to me is the exercise but I love some of the comments today ..too funny...my favs:

Bradd01 about an hour ago
I guess sleeping on your stomach is racist too...

Bubbles The Chimp about an hour ago
Harvey can't plank. When he lies down his body height from the ground up is the same height as when he stands. Very odd.
((normally I don’t like when people joke on Harvey but that made me giggle))

commonsense about an hour ago
Oh okay Xzibit, you condem planking because it comes from racist roots but you still use the 'N' word in your music and speech, doesn't that come from racist roots?

Jake about an hour ago
I call all my black friends planks.

ciom 57 minutes ago
White people can't even remain silent and motionless without being accused by some moron as being racist. Next, white people will be accused of racist blinking...

Deanna 10 minutes ago
Plank is a thick slab of wood... Since Pirates walked the plank, is this offensive to them as well? Geez, I am so tired of everything being racist. Lighten up and enjoy life

wonkers

I guess log cabins/lego's/reams of paper...ect are all racist. X to the whaaa, please stop calling everything racist. It's just like Hanging is not racist, white people were lynched all the time, it is not a race thing, and if you are overly sensitive about things like this, maybe you should march in the next GLAAD parade.

steve

You have got to be kidding me!!!! Is he got nothing else to complain about!..Rasist????,,I guess when they cancel your TV shows and your CD sales are down,,,you have to stay in the media mix by saying something like this!

TJ

Honestly, this is just because Xzibit really isnt that good at planking. and so you try to make it look dumb because you feel left out. It's ok X, I'm sure you have a 5th somewhere you can drink yourself happy again with, since you talk about it every other song.

chuck

You know these crazy times we live in , it is about time for people to stop being so sensitive about
everything , how ever think be fore you act .

Chrissie

Did you also know that "pants" used to be a swear word? So if I say it now...are you offended?

Anon

Ra

Is Pimp'n rides racist?

Hed Furst

Maybe it should be called something else...?!?!? Then it removes all racist connotations...!!!

smd

Xzibit.....SHUT UP.....they should plank your tired @ss!! Who cares stop playing the slave card dude.

Marie

he is an idiot! I'm tired of people always bringing in race as a form to feel sorry for themselves! I understand colored people were treated and hurt bad but really? move on