Zac Efron -- Could He Have Prevented Buddy's DUI?

7/9/2011 6:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Zac Efron was drinking with good friend Ryan Rottman literally minutes before Rottman was arrested for DUI.  The question, should Zac have said anything to his pal to prevent him from taking the wheel?

0708-zac-efron-ryan-rottman-ex

Sources inside the Dillon's Irish Pub in Hollywood tell TMZ ... Zac, Ryan, Rumer Willis and a few other friends ordered a total of  7 Kamikaze shots, 8 or 9 mixed drinks and 3 - 4 beers.

Zac and Rottman both left the bar at around 9:30 and went their separate ways.  We shot video of Zac running from the bar to his car, though it appears Rumer drove him away. By 9:45, Rottman was in police custody.

0708_zacs_exit_video_large

Rottman apparently was hammered.  Cops spotted him after he drove up a curb near Dillion's.  He blew a .19, more than twice the legal limit.

We asked Zac's rep if the actor urged his friend to take a taxi or find some other way home that would not have put him behind the wheel.  We did not get a response.

So we ask ...

some guy

@justsaying

I agree that Zac's buddy was digging his own grave.

I'm just saying it wouldn't have been hard to say something out of concern. You know, like something a real friend would do.

Oh, right, real friends are hard to find in Hollywood, amirite.

some guy

@justsaying

You smell Trollish. Want me to continue?

Allen D. Porter

Most drunk driving happens after drinking with friends, family, or coworkers. We need to step in and prevent drunk driving before it happens. Just letting it happen in front of you is kind of stupid.

some guy

@justsaying

I had a really bad day yesterday. Really got to me.

I think it would be a little cathartic for me to get really mean. Post more plz.

Knight

Where's Roger Ebert and that sexy mouth now? What no comment on people letting people drive drunk?

tenley

Wow, TMZ glorified the Jackass -- who ultimately was responsble for his own actions -- and now TMZ AGAIN is not putting any responsbility on the Jackass (in this case Mr. Rottman). If TMZ tiptoed around and not once put the oneous on the Jackass friends this singliong out of Effron absolutely is a bit much.

Muffin30

Why?? He was not the only person in the car. But because he's a STAR its all on him?? NO!!! I saw a man and another woman in the back.. But it's all on him... WHATEVER!!!!!

tenley

Since when does TMZ give a f*ck about DRUNK DRIVING and DUIs when it defends Lindsay Lohan for her multiple violations like IT'S NO BIG DEAL. You all are on crack.

lauren lipkin

the video is not working,
how bout fixing on that?

RealityBites

None of them should be driving if they were drinking stupid idiots can all afford a car service.

ptay

he is a grown ass man and should know better. he should plan his drinking night as to find a dd or cab beforehand or know before getting into a car he cant drive. it does make me question however id that rumer girl was legally able to drive. was she seen drinking? tipsy driving is still drunk driving. people are so stupid, selfish and reckless. call a freaking cab.

Ilena

I am giving my real name beacause I was a part of the early 90's crowd where paparazzi never followed. They are sick people. I was with Christian Peppard when we were pulled over on Sunset blvd. after leaving Roxbury. We were both drunk. He blew a few red lights, pulled over, given sobriety test, failed. I had the drunk balls to tell the police I would take the car to his moms (Elizabeth Ashley) house. They gave me a test and I passed.....after about 8 shots of Goldshlager. ???. Anyway, took the car to Elizabeths house, up the whole night (she gave me a diet pill to stay awake) she's on the phone with a gazillion people to make sure his arrest never got out....never did. We went together to get him out of jail in the morning, cops stopped us for having tinted windows, she told them why and showed her gun in the glove compartment...because she was car-jacked. LOVE this woman...they let her go, we picked up Christian and never a word in the papers!!!! That's the 90's for you!!!

justsaying

David Jong:

You epitomizes what I mean when I say "weak." Grow up and take care of yourself and stop riding on others backs. Make your own decisions in life and then deal with the consequences of them. STOP BLAMING OTHERS!!!!

some guy

MWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHA

OK... Mr. Efron

some guy

@Zac

So, were you secretly hoping your buddy would pull a Ryan Dunn. He is pretty handsome.

Haters, alway*****in' amirite?