'Gilligan's Island,' 'Brady Bunch' Creator -- Dead at 94

7/12/2011 9:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Sherwood Schwartz, the television genius who created "The Brady Bunch" and "Gilligan's Island" -- and wrote the theme songs for BOTH shows -- has died ... TMZ has learned.

0712_sherwood_3

Schwartz is a TV legend -- back in 1961, he won an Emmy for his work as a writer on "The Red Skelton Show."

Schwartz also served as a script supervisor on "My Favorite Martian" ... and a writer and producer of "Harper Valley PTA."

Sherwood worked in radio before transitioning over to television -- serving as a writer for Bob Hope's radio show. He also worked on the radio version of "The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet."

Schwartz died of natural causes in his sleep, surrounded by his family.

0712_brady_mini_launch0712_gilligan_island_mini

0712_remembering_sherwood
0712_ruseel_johnson_quote_3
0712_tina_louise_quote_2
0712_florence_henderson_tweet_2
0712_barry_williams
0712_dawn_wells_mary_annee

roxbury2004

I met him in an elevator about 10 years ago and he was the nicest man. Very engaging and talkative. I loved his work.

Stupidity2damnHigh

Lol you are truly one pathetic parasite. May the rule of three comes back and bites you in the ass!!

Back to the subject, I hope I don't sound like a smartass but we all are going to kick the bucket one day however people like Schwartz and Mrs. Ford could say they lived a nice long life. RIP.

serena

R.I.P Mr. Schwartz. I grew up on both the Brady Bunch and Gilligan's Island, and have many fond memories of both series.

As for his family watching over him as he passed in his sleep, when it is known that a family member is passing soon, the family gathers at that person's bedside. This is not that uncommon. Maybe his family knew it was his time. How fortunate he was to have his loved ones around him when he passed.

Bubba

The only shows I ever saw were My Favorite Martian (in black and white) and The Brady Bunch in color. Can't remember ever seeing the other shows.

Muppet

lol 25 minutes ago
another jew dead..

a better world indeed...
____

You racist ignorant jerk!

Muppet

Wonderful man! He will be sadly missed! I loved all of his shows! Rest in peace Mr. Schwartz and may your family be comforted that they were blessed with so many years with you.

Jackie

Who?And why was the family surrounding him while he was a sleep?..hmm!!

Rotter

He's with the Skipper and Mike Brady now....

Bruno

Died of "natural causes in his sleep" surrounded by his family??? How Six Feet Under. I am crept out of my skin!!!

Delaware D

Wow. 'Gilligan's Island' and 'Brady Bunch' were my childhood.

RIP, sir.

Abe

His family wasn't in the room watching him sleep. They were in the room making sure he didn't change his will when they weren't looking. The only thing people want from you when you're 94 is to die and leave them money.

x

Meeen2

Isn't it cool how one dude could touch so many lives...in a GOOD way? I think it was "Carl" who said "he had a good run". And, he did! He has been making me laugh (including re-runs)for almost 40 years! Even when I was kid I noticed that his name was in the credits of almost every T.V. show! What a talent! My condolences to his family.

And to LOL - You're not funny. You're ugly! How DARE you? Christ was a Jew....NEVER FORGET THAT YOU HATEFUL PR! CK!!

Her Imperial and Royal Majesty

Oh, no! This is a tragedy! He died before he could tell us why Ginger never changed her dress.

CCC

lol you ignorant ass. I sure you look in the mirror and feel good about yourself, because you are one of the many uncaring idiots out there who think they are better than others because of their race. Jerk!

As for being surrounded by family, I'm sure they all weren't just standing around his bed waiting for him to die. Just because TMZ writes it in their headlines doesn't mean it's true word for word.

RIP Mr Schwartz.

Selebraties Suck

Those were the days . . .