'Gilligan's Island,' 'Brady Bunch' Creator -- Dead at 94

7/12/2011 9:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Sherwood Schwartz, the television genius who created "The Brady Bunch" and "Gilligan's Island" -- and wrote the theme songs for BOTH shows -- has died ... TMZ has learned.

0712_sherwood_3

Schwartz is a TV legend -- back in 1961, he won an Emmy for his work as a writer on "The Red Skelton Show."

Schwartz also served as a script supervisor on "My Favorite Martian" ... and a writer and producer of "Harper Valley PTA."

Sherwood worked in radio before transitioning over to television -- serving as a writer for Bob Hope's radio show. He also worked on the radio version of "The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet."

Schwartz died of natural causes in his sleep, surrounded by his family.

0712_brady_mini_launch0712_gilligan_island_mini

0712_remembering_sherwood
0712_ruseel_johnson_quote_3
0712_tina_louise_quote_2
0712_florence_henderson_tweet_2
0712_barry_williams
0712_dawn_wells_mary_annee

i'm a lawyer!

why was his family surrounding him as he slept? strange visual.

najia01

RIP Sr.I've watch your show 40years loved it

thefinestwinner

what's up with the tv shows today? this director is from an era where there was more innocence and creativity in the programs that were produced for tv

CCC

To LoL ghost- So in plain English, you hate everyone that isn't white. You mentioned that you would say the same about someone black, asian, polock or gay. (You forgot Mexicans and Russians by the way.) So much for the white race being superior. Listen, if you want to spend your life hating people who aren't the same as you, so be it. Personally, I stand for peace and love, yet I also believe that the people of Earth will unfortunately never be on the same page because of the racist hatred that is so widespread. What a shame. This planet could be paradise.

Joe

There are clear reasons why people should have to be approved and banned from leaving messages. Freedom of speach is one thing, but the editor of this site should have the right not to allow the posting of racist comments and hurtful, verbal abuse just for the sake of ones sick enjoyment. It would not be tolerated from the writer so it should not be tolerated from the commentor.

williard

To Lol Ghost: When you - God Forbid - get into a car accident and the Latino paramedic rushes to your aid - tell him no. For he is Hispanic and not to your liking. And the doctor who takes you out of the ambulance is Japanese - tell him no. For he is Asian. And you hate Asians. When you are wheeled into surgery as your life ebbs away - tell the Black doctor - no. For he is not Caucasian. And the anesthesiologist is Jewish - say God no, not you - you are a Jew. Do not use that gas on me to put me under. I can take the pain. And when you’re wheeled into your room safe and recovering...Look at the blood that drips into you. Who’s it it? Go ahead. Tell me. Who’s blood is keeping you alive? Could it be the Hispanic’s, the Asian’s, the African American’s. Or -- the Jew’s?

annie2

RIP Mr Schwartz! He may have been "sleeping" but I am sure he had been failing and probably had nurses that monitored his breathing towards the end and called the family together to prepare them. That's usually how it's done...nothing creepy about it (except for TMZ's phrasing of it).

Mr Schwartz' letter to the entertainment world and general public to be released after his death, as provided by The Hollywood Reporter:

annie2

Terry

They were probably there with him because they knew he was near death. Silly question.

Paul

It sucks getting old.He gave so many wonderful memories.I hope he died happy.

merlin

anne2: That made me misty, and I DON'T tear up easily. He sounded like a great man. 94 years old, though, nice long life.

♥TMZ but ...

I remember seeing the name Sherwood Schwartz all the time as a kid
RIP

TiminPhx

His shows were a huge part of my youth. Even as a producer of some of the most dominant, iconic shows around, by all reports he was a really decent man and someone who loved his family.

stacey

I have fond memories of all the years of television entertainment he provided, especially the Brady Bunch. R.I.P., Mr. Schwartz, you'll be missed.

A friend

This is a man who contributed immeasurably to American television pop culture. I, for one, will always look back with fond memories of the TV shows he produced; from "Gilligan's Island" to "The Brady Bunch", every episode is a classic today. For the hours and hours of entertainment you brought us all, Mr. Schwartz, thank you so very much for giving us your best.