'Gilligan's Island,' 'Brady Bunch' Creator -- Dead at 94

7/12/2011 9:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Sherwood Schwartz, the television genius who created "The Brady Bunch" and "Gilligan's Island" -- and wrote the theme songs for BOTH shows -- has died ... TMZ has learned.

0712_sherwood_3

Schwartz is a TV legend -- back in 1961, he won an Emmy for his work as a writer on "The Red Skelton Show."

Schwartz also served as a script supervisor on "My Favorite Martian" ... and a writer and producer of "Harper Valley PTA."

Sherwood worked in radio before transitioning over to television -- serving as a writer for Bob Hope's radio show. He also worked on the radio version of "The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet."

Schwartz died of natural causes in his sleep, surrounded by his family.

0712_brady_mini_launch0712_gilligan_island_mini

0712_remembering_sherwood
0712_ruseel_johnson_quote_3
0712_tina_louise_quote_2
0712_florence_henderson_tweet_2
0712_barry_williams
0712_dawn_wells_mary_annee

Tangient Orange

I waited on him in Beverly Hills back in the 90's. He came in regularly. Besides being a sweet man, he was a 100% tipper. R.I.P.

CJ

All I hear all day long is how wonderful Sherman was...
Sherman, Sherman, SHERMAN!

john johnson

r.i.p. to mr. schwartz, i just wish he would have fought hard to make sure that EVERY cast member from all those classic shows were paid royalties for their contributions to what are otherwise cult classic programs.

SAMANTHA

THOSE SHOWS WERE GOOD TO WATCH BACK THEN, NO VIOLENCE, NONE OF THE STUFF YOU SEE TODAY ON T.V. NEED MORE SHOWS LIKE THAT FOR OUR CHILDREN. MAYBE THIS WORLD WOULD NOT BE LIKE IT IS TODAY. R.I.P MR. SCWARTZ.

Rob

What a wonderful legacy he has left for us! A brilliant man who deserves our love and respect for all those years of wholesome entertainment he gave to us. How different our lives would have been without him. Thank you, Mr. Schwartz for having such a positive influence on my life. My deepest sympathy to your family.

John

This man is responsible for the most memorable and quotable TV moments from the 60's and 70's. Thank you, Mr. Shwartz. And if I learned one thing from your work, "Mom always says, Don't play ball in the house". Good Night, sir.

lmao!

I grew up watching Gilligan's Island. Made a career of Commercial Fishing party due to trying to find the Island that Maryann was stranded on.

Safe Bouncin' Sir, you will be missed

cire

what a legend! I am honored in being a part of the awesome history S.S has provided us! See you on the S.S.Minnow

Sarafina

My childhood is slipping away more and more with each passing genius of television from the 1960...'s and 1970's. My faves were just the ones Mr. Schwartz created. May he rest in peace...

David

My God! Show some respect for the Schwartz family. This family just lost someone dear to them and to the world. All you people commenting on his sleeping while the family was present is absolutely revolting! I'm so sorry to the Schwartz family for your loss. He gave a lot of himself to the world. May he rest in peace.

American

They forgot to mention "It's About Time". We forgive you for that one, Sherwood.

T

Hey Idiots, I don't think they literally meant his family was watching him sleep, it means they were around, like in the house. Anyway...he was a part of many of our childhoods, RIP Mr.Schwartz!

rwerner2010

After 94 years, a life of joy and - probabbly - some sadness comes to an end. As we all have to go this route one time sooner or later, I think it's best not to be sad that he's gone, but cherish the laughter and entertainment he's brought into our homes for many years.

jim

Awwwwww.. RIP... god blesses his family and all his friends.

TheBitchyWaiter

He created two of my favorite shows and I thank him: http://thebitchywaiter.blogspot.com/2011/07/rip-sherwood-schwartz.html