« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Marc Tyler's Dad: My Son Is NOT Getting Paid

7/18/2011 1:50 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Marc Tyler's father tells TMZ ... the suspended USC running back should have known better than to  joke about the university paying football players ... but says he's 100% certain Marc has NOT taken one illicit penny from the school.

0718_wendell_marc_EX_01

TMZ spoke with Wendell "The Truth" Tyler (pictured left) -- a former NFL running back who played college ball at UCLA.

Wendell tells us, "Marc is accepting the punishment because he knows as a Christian he shouldn't have allowed himself to get in that position ... saying what he said."

Wendell insists that  "Marc was clearly joking" ... telling us the USC player still relies on his parents to cover his expenses outside of his scholarship.

"Marc is DEFINITELY not getting paid ... so I don't know what he was thinking when he said it."

Still, Wendell admits ...  "It's a wake up call."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

The Neko Nation

@ mark, The point is he has zero common sense, class, or respect. Why would you joke about something like that on camera after what the football program has gone through. This is an adult who is on the team. He is nothing more than a fool and an uneducated simpleton.

CriticXtreme

See how lights and cameras will make you say dumb things?

EarthAngel

@neko nation
No excuse making here....I said earlier he is reaping his karma from his actions and it is up to him to apply the wisdom gained. I do not use chronological age as a measure of adulthood. "Spiritual maturity" can be arrested at any time in ones' life and shows up in external actions. The variables in each persons life vary widely and it is quite arrogant to judge how another should be acting. It is enough to pay attention to ones own life, yes?
Besides....paying attention to our own personal maturity would be far more beneficial in altering our world. So you see....I take responsibilty for what happens in my life. Even when it might look like someone else's "fault", I still have a part in it as well. It is up to me alone to get the lesson given and apply it accordingly. Yes this is an ideal....and people slip up sometimes. Glass houses.....

EarthAngel

Izzy. For sure! I went to OGHS and we had the added luck of having to go up against OHS before you could get to play Helix! Remember Junior Seau and the Pao Pao's? Oh yes! We would have two ambulances waiting! Lol

The Neko Nation

@ SharJoy, When an American can go and fight for their country at 18 and die defending our great country, myself at 19, there are no excuses. This guy is a adult and he should have know better. Slow witted individuals who make excuses for themselves and others risk not only themselves but all others around them. This fool needs to see what the real world is like and grow up. Just another self entitled loser who thinks everything should be handed to him and doesn't know the true word of dedication, class, and pride.

EarthAngel

@ The Neko Nation. May I say a heartfelt thank you for your courage and willingness to put yourself in harms way. I have compassion for where you are coming from now. Nothing can make a person "grow up" quicker than going to war. I have lived by Camp Pendleton my entire life and served their families medically for many years. So you see for me, if it is not a "life or death" matter I can sleep at night. Perspective is an interesting thing, yes? I understand your frustration. He is being handed his ass now in front of the world....hopefully he will serve as an example. Some of us are born sacrificial lambs to hopefully assist others in making wise choices

right straight

Now they could keep these things quiet, if only there was a way to stop the players from buying chains and watches.Then they'd be on to something.

EarthAngel

Just Sayin...

OOPs, sorry regulator! I hit the "report" button on your post by accident. Meant to go to next page...Good stuff...

joecrabs

Yeah. Right. Ask your kid why he's driving an Escalade.

nate

@sharjoy

Cree Morris was a *****. Ambulance was simply precautionary.

gthomasi

What was this guy thinking? Considering how sensitive of a subject this currently is that was just plain dumb!

JB

Uh Uh......he's black so he "deserves" to get paid. The white players have to settle for free tuition, free meal passes and huge game day meals, books paid for, housing paid for....but that would be unfair to just give that to the black athletes because they need an escalade (I'd like to know what this kid drives - that will say something), gold chains, and money for the clubs.

But above all Dad....we get it, the money goes to you and you give it to your kid so "you" support him. Don't worry, that is legal, athletes CAN recieve money - well black ones can - so long as it goes to the dad first. NCAA has no problem with that. Cam Newton BTW is the expert give him a call. Hurry though before he bombs in the NFL as just an other "athletic' black quarterback who won't have the brains for the position. White players are "feisty", and "dirty" (in basketball they always are), and "gutsy" but balck players are "athletic"....bu*****ch watch watch....Tebow who is nothing but criticized and always put down yet HE will be a super bowl winner while "ATHLETIC" Cam at best will be McNair or Mcnabb - Mcnabb who gets close, but throws it all always because he's not smart enough and folds under pressure because someone is not in the shadows to just "give him" the super bowl.

Bobby

This kid has other past problems at USC.
Apparently alcohol related as well. See article.

So, the suspension may be for multiple issues and not just the TMZ "joking around" video alone.

himminy

dude is/has receiving money. end of story. and how old is this kid anyways? is he even 21? because clearly he was drunk in the video.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments