'Swamp People' Star -- Bad Heart Threatens Career

7/18/2011 3:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The most beloved star of the hit reality show "Swamp People" is in danger of missing Season 3 after a serious heart condition almost took his life earlier this year ... TMZ has learned.

0718-swamp-people-ex

It's not Troy ... or Trapper Joe ... or the badass Guist Brothers -- it's Bruce Mitchell's faithful sidekick Tyler ... the lovable gator hunting dog.

TMZ spoke to a rep for Bruce -- the guy who rocks the overalls and the American flag bandana -- who tells us Tyler was having "heart troubles" back in January ... and had to be rushed to the vet for emergency medical care.

We're told things got so bad "the dog almost died."

Luckily for Tyler, doctors were able to treat the illness ... and he's been resting at home and taking heart meds ever since.

The rep tells us Bruce is unsure if Tyler will be able to join him on the boat next season ... saying Bruce is "hopeful...but still not sure."

0718_tyler_dog_footer_v2

LAMusicPhotographer

Love the dog, but this show is the biggest piece of crap on tv.... that's Not a bunch of rich spoiled bithes whining about everything(Housew.... of wherever.) I ******* HATE these people. S***bags spend all day long killing gators. ******* toothless rednecks. People who either make their "living" killing animals, or hunting for "sport" should be strung up themselves. Locked away. Ted Nugent is one of them. GARBAGE GARBAGE GARBAGE.

Quinn

poor dog 's all scared shiftless chasin' gators! poor thing.

Johnnyt

@DatDogBitz
You are one of the people I was talking about. To ignorant to
own a dog? If you do it's probably Pitt Bull huh? Heart worm is
transmitted by mosquitoes. If your Paris, and carry your dog in
your purse, you might get by. Otherwise, follow the advice of a
good vet in your area and protect your friend.

Mrs. Gay Jr

awww so sad.

mildly insane

LAMusicPhotographer 31 minutes ago

------------------------
Im certain they dont think much of you either
have you ever truly had to do physical labor
or been in a position where you could eat or keep a roof over your head but not both these people are working hard to take care of themselves and their families although you would probably
be happier if they were sucking of the government tit

Nope

I happened on this show randomly on Netflix. After getting through the initial shock of seeing these people hunt and shoot alligators, I actually found myself intrigued. I ended up watching Season 1 in two days. Then I had to hunt down Season 2.

I enjoy watching people from a different culture and lifestyle as me (Middle of nowehere, Midwest). I don't look down upon them and make ignorant remarks but enjoy that these people can make a living within their surrounding environment and enjoying their lives.

While I'm not a hunter myself, I understand that the alligator population can multiply drastically if kept unchecked (just like the deer here) so actually don't have a problem that LA has a short and restricted hunting season for alligators, so long as they don't become endangered.

Anyway, love Tyler and Bruce as well as everyone else on the show! Wish them the best of luck in all their endeavors.

Susie

Bruce needs to stop givin him all those zebra cakes LOL....prays that he is on the next season I love seeing him around and Bruce would not know how to act you remember when Tyler ran off and he searched day and night in the swamps until he found him

Rick

What career?

JB

Great show and Bruce and Tyler are awesome! Tyler better cut down on all those zippy cakes Bruce be feeding him. If you do not know much about this show give it a shot. Family ties and community spirit are strong in Cajun country I am probably the last person you would expect to like this show. Bummed there is only 1 epi left

HARDY-HAR-HAR

What did I miss? I don't remember reading he got heartworm.... or, are all of the "ignorant" LA jerkoffs just assuming he did?

HARDY-HAR-HAR

LOVE this show!

HARDY-HAR-HAR

Having had 2 dogs with heart disease myself, I know first hand that you do have to keep their "excitement levels" low to extend their life. The more wound up they're allowed to get, the worse they'll feel, and are in much more danger of having a fatal attack. So ... good luck Bruce & Tyler. We'll miss Tyler if he isn't on the show, but it's more important he stays alive!

JB

Well said NOPE!

Johnnyt

@HARDY HAR HAR:
I trust you know heart disease, and heart worms are two very
different things. Heart worm is a paracite transmitted by a
type of mosquito to dogs . Tiny worms form in the blood, even-
tually travel and lodge in heart to grow VERY BIG. Nasty and
entirely avoidable. Treatment very difficult, expensive, usually
fatal if not fought early. Please, everybody take the time to google
about this if you don't know

fran

another show dumbing down Americans,what it must look like to others outside of the country...unfortunately Canadians are following along as well..God help us all. (sigh)

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments