'Swamp People' Star -- Bad Heart Threatens Career

7/18/2011 3:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The most beloved star of the hit reality show "Swamp People" is in danger of missing Season 3 after a serious heart condition almost took his life earlier this year ... TMZ has learned.

0718-swamp-people-ex

It's not Troy ... or Trapper Joe ... or the badass Guist Brothers -- it's Bruce Mitchell's faithful sidekick Tyler ... the lovable gator hunting dog.

TMZ spoke to a rep for Bruce -- the guy who rocks the overalls and the American flag bandana -- who tells us Tyler was having "heart troubles" back in January ... and had to be rushed to the vet for emergency medical care.

We're told things got so bad "the dog almost died."

Luckily for Tyler, doctors were able to treat the illness ... and he's been resting at home and taking heart meds ever since.

The rep tells us Bruce is unsure if Tyler will be able to join him on the boat next season ... saying Bruce is "hopeful...but still not sure."

0718_tyler_dog_footer_v2

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

Gilbert

Tyler ya just gotta do what the rest of old dogs do.. just slow up n look at it. take care m8. we wanna see ya next season

Angela

***Please don't judge...a dog CAN get heartworms even if they have been on a heartworm preventative since the age of 8 weeks!! This has been substantiated by the pharmaceutical companies now... Check their websites...read the fine print.

Bibi

(Singing) TMZ CARES!

Bruce Law

you boys in the swamp are good I have a picture of a 24ft crocodile that was shot in the lower Zambizi river in zimbabwe I have hunted many times this river, chases by hippos watched by lions and stopped by buffalo Want to come to wildest Africa? We will teach you a trick !! Give me an email address I will email you some pics to make your mouth water COME ON MY BROTHERS give it a go, you will be safe try it if you dare we use male baboon for bait

gary garrett

BRUCE I HOPE ALL GOES WELL WITH TYLER. I KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO LOSE A VALUED COMPANION PET. WE WILL BE PRAYING FOR A TOTAL RECOVERY.

Jessie

Get well little boy. if i see you i will give you a zebra cake make that two.

jimmy

Bruce if there's anything I can do to help Tyler out and I mean anything please let me know thank you Jim 562-237-7461 call me anytime. I am A disabled vet that has had 14 operations since being injured in the Iraq war. I have been looking for a job for over 10 months but to no avail. But I would gladly give everything I own to save Tyler's life and I mean it sincerely Jimmy

jimmy

I love Tyler and it would break my heart to see something happen to the man, And O know that Bruce is one of the most loving men when it comes to his best friend. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to offset some of the cost for tylers

Dette

Glad Tyler seems to be ok now. Such an unconventional dog name, but he seems like a good padnuh!

Tracey-Lynn

I sure hope Tyler the dog is going to be alright,Because on last season I cried when he was lost in the swamp and Bruce was looking for him,it was sad at how much Bruce loves his beloved Tyler,and I was wondering where Tyler was this season when they showed a blue healer instead of Tyler with Bruce.So Bruce you give Tyler my best because I love animals and I think Tyler is such an awesome dog and a good gator dog so give him a big hug for me and I hope he get's better and back in the boat with you soon.I love this show.Swamp People.

Jason

Dang Good Dog !

bammbamm

good luck tyler hang in there u the people that talk crap bout these people should be treated like a gator and shot in back of head these people work their ass off to make a liveing the hard way wont u lazy bums get off your ass and try it.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6