« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

USC Suspends RB Marc Tyler Over TMZ Video

7/18/2011 12:49 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

USC running back Marc Tyler has been suspended by head coach Lane Kiffin for comments he made to TMZ last week in which he insinuated the university PAYS its football players.

0718_lane_marc_BN

Tyler insists he was "joking" outside of Voyeur nightclub in Hollywood Thursday night when he told our cameras, "USC ... they breakin' bread!"

Kiffin just released a statement saying, "I was very disappointed when I learned of Marc Tyler's inappropriate comments that were captured by the media last week. That is not the way that we expect our players to represent USC and our team."

He added, "I have consulted with athletic director Pat Haden and I am suspending Marc for our upcoming season opener and potentially further, and in the meantime I am also suspending him from all team activities.071811_marc_tyler_v3_still"

"Although Marc may find this punishment severe, it is imperative we continue to have a high standard for player behavior.  Marc needs to work hard to show us that he can meet the standards of being a USC football player."

We spoke to Lane Kiffin last night in L.A. -- but he had no comment.

He continued, "I realize how my behavior and my statements, even though I was joking, can reflect poorly on so many people ... I accept my punishment and I regret that I will miss the opening game of my senior year. "

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

tumh2o

They ARE breaking bread! About 150-200 thousand has been spent on Marc for his ejumucation! Will he get a REAL degree?

Or did he waste his time in Honors Level Advanced Underwater BB Stacking like most of the Trojans players.

Pat Haden don't play that way guys. Act the idiot and he'll treat you as an idiot. No more look the other way.

Bob

University athletes get scholarships in most countries where there are university sports programs. The difference is that in the US, it's over-commercialized (and with money comes corruption).

Case in point, the many "bowls" popping up everywhere, with names sold to sponsors, such as the GoDaddy.com Bowl.

You simply can't argue that the US college football his becoming increasingly bloated and tacky.

Bob

...or rather, you can't argue that it isn't so.

i'm a lawyer!

good choice. stupid trojan.

Bob

"@ Bob, Guess what Einstein, The football program brings in over 10 times that amount in revenues. The players are getting a free education, room and board. Over 40k a year. Obviously you are someone with low intelligence. COLLEGE FOOTBALL IS A BUSINESS!"

Wow, I'm blown away by your eloquence. Prose such as yours, the English language has never feasted upon since the Great Bard penned his last words.

PS. It's funny you bring up Einstein (being that you're an ignorant kid and all). Einstein was paid 10000$ per year when he started at Princeton in the early 1930's. That's 150000$ in today's money (which happens to be slightly north of the average salary USC pays its faculty and a pittance in comparison to what it pays its football coach).

bobby

tmz stop interviewing drunk kids poor journalism

ManiacalZebra

Given all of the scandals the NCAA has been dealing with lately, it's the right call. It's not something you joke about when it's been going on so much. The last thing a team wants is for attention to be drawn to them like that.

jmiller

Marc Tyler did not write his apology - Tyler has also issued an apology ... saying, "I am disappointed that I let down all the people who have supported me as I have been working through some personal issues."

that's not the way he expresses himself...

He's nothing more than an ANIMAL!

jmiller

His apology was written by someone else. He doesn't talk like that...couldn't talk like that.. He's an ANIMAL...
He should be suspended for the full season..

Coy

Hey, He's got to be more responsible that that. Until then he deserves whatever happens to him!

chillshy

TMZ has screwed up many of these young adults lives and the TMZ do not realize that people's career is effect. TMZ has reporters whom are immature young adults that need to be reoriented to be positive communication and know what to publish and not. The TMZ reporter took away a young skier gold medal chance to march in the closing ceremony. The TMZ took away his dream by showing his celebration on television. Sometimes people do stupid, joking, immature, etc during celebration, winning and emotional events. If it were I, I would sue the crap out of TMZ. I would ask for the following the terms: send everyone for the company to sensitivity classes, communication classes and ask for 1000 hours per staff community hour working with athletes whom in need of assistant of academics, working with athletes who suffer injuries during a game, follow positive professional reporters and sport reporters. Since their boss cannot take the professional, responsibility to teach his reporters what is right and wrong.

Mozzabillie13

USC...the University of Sexual Ballers? Maybe someone should tell him "Ballers" begins with a "B" instead of a "C"! When people drink, they usually tell the truth while under the influence. Everybody knows the truth anyway but it is just funny when someone drinks and actually lets it slip.

steve

It all comes down to common sense !! It has nothing to do with
Lane Kiffen, or anyone else at SC !..This was a scholorship student/athlete, who was intoxicated, opened up his mouth and said said some stupid things,,,,all in front of a camera!!! Simple, if he wants to blame the alcohol, so be it. If he wants to give up his scholorship, give it up to someone who needs it , then do it!

If you don't think these student/athletes have been told, " over and over " to be responsible and make the right decisions, I know for a fact they were. They were told what consequences they faced, if something like this occurred. Kiffen did the right thing!!!! Period!

Paul Suter

what an idiot ... if he doesn't make it to the pros (which he won't), he'll face harsh reality as a USC janitor, or, living off of his daddy's limited fortune.

Jade

The funny thing is...that anyone (under the guise of being "real") can express themselves, say something really STUPID (as in the case of most of the comments shown here) and hide behind his or her computer screen. Say something about your boss, your mother-in-law or next door neighbor,create a cute screen name and you get away with it. I don't care what people on Twitter or TMZ. Opinions are like asses, everyone has one!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments