Father of 'Barbie' -- Dead at 95

7/22/2011 8:43 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Elliot Handler -- a co-founder of the Mattel toy company -- the guy who NAMED the "Barbie Doll" -- has died ... TMZ has learned.

Elliot Handler Dead

Handler's caretaker tells TMZ ... Elliot had a medical emergency last night ... and eventually died from heart failure.

Elliot's wife CREATED the Barbie Doll back in the '50s ... and Handler named the doll after their daughter Barbara.

Handler was 95-years old.

0722_barbie_footer

AndUKnowThisMan

LEGEND!!

weird al yankovich

RIP your're a legend

carol

Thank You, kind sir, all the way back to 1959.....RIP

ruth

guess chelsea handler was the original barbie factory reject doll

Holli~Peno

awww,rest in peace,sir,you & your wife made many millions of little dreams come true with barbie and friends.as an adult,i still collect barbies,i have 24.but this time,they stay in the box.

Her Imperial and Royal Majesty

Did he make a life-size Barbie, with moveable parts and heating units, for his own private use? I´m just asking.

CCC

Thanks for contributing to my childhood. My G.I. Joe's used to get together with my sister's Barbies. Oh, the fun they had.

Luz

Some people have a life size doll and loose sense of reality. Elliot Handler was surrounded by hundreds of beautiful dolls that were reinvented every year, always young, always beautiful; and he made millions of dollars sharing them with the rest of the world! Way to go! May he rest in peace!

some guy

@Her Majesty

I think Japan's working on something like that. Pervs.

JulieB

They may have named it after their daughter, but Mrs. Handler saw the Bild Lillie doll in Germany and manufactured Barbie when she got home. Sounds like copying someone else's creation to me.

Quinn

RIP.

Roni

My cousin was an amazing man and an amazing husband - supportive of his wife running boardroom meetings in the 50's altruistic, kind, artistic and multi-talented. A true feminist and unruffled by a woman's successes. I'm going to miss him terribly. His sister-in-law died two days ago as well. For my family, it's the end of an era. G-d bless you Elliot for being the mensch of the century. xo

Julian

What? An old man of 95 dies? OMG were is DR.Murray when you need him..zzzzzzzzz BOTHERED!!

Festushaigen

We remember Mattel for the Barbie Doll, but does anyone remember the Fanner 50, The Rifleman rifle, the Fanner Jr. belt buckle derri8nger, and all the other great toys that put them on the map before Barbie ever came along....RIP my friend

Joe

I can't believe the caretaker sold his story to TMZ. That's a great way to respect the privacy o*****rieving family.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments