Amy Winehouse

Found Dead

7/23/2011 9:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Amy Winehouse Dead
Amy Winehouse was found dead in her apartment in London today ... TMZ has confirmed.

A press release from the Metropolitan Police, which doesn't specifically name Winehouse, says:

"Police were called by London Ambulance Service to an address in Camden Square NW1 shortly before 16.05hrs today, Saturday 23 July, following reports of a woman found deceased.

On arrival officers found the body of a 27-year-old female who was pronounced dead at the scene.

Enquiries continue into the circumstances of the death. At this early stage it is being treated as unexplained.
"Winehouse famously battled addiction to drugs and alcohol and was in and out of rehab several times throughout the years.

Last month, Winehouse canceled her European tour after a performance in Serbia where she seemed completely out of it.

She was 27.

More Amy Winehouse

0723_died_too_young_footer
More Today in TMZ History

..EW..

OMG! I'm shocked! I thought she had got her life straight... Sad than drugs and alcohol got the best of her... She was a great singer... RIP Amy!

ed

While it may not be a surprise to anyone, remember people: It's still a tragedy - It's a shame when anyone loses their life at such an early age. And ironially, she joins the 27-club, with Cobaine, Joplin, Hendrix, Morrison and dozens more. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/27_Club
R.I.P. Amy

Cat

I guess she really needed to go to REHAB.. Not surprised one bit!!

too good for hollywood

what is it with musicians dying at 27?????? hendrix, joplin, cobain????? they all died at 27

opiates.com

What a tragedy...Such talent, such beautiful music. Thank you Amy for all you have given us and I am sorry you could not have been helped in time. My heart goes out to her family.
R.I.P.

susan

Oh God Amy, I'm so sad, you were a brilliant talent. To quote one of your best songs 'Love is a losing game' Rest in peace lovely lady.

meme

Sad and not surprised.

Marie from Vancouver

So tragic. So sad. So preventable. RIP Amy..... prayers to you and your family.

shawn

Did you get what you wanted now TMZ? are you happy now? look what you did to that woman. you should be ashamed.

k1

Truth be that she was an addict, but this is horrible and sad news either way. A terrible loss, and such a sad story. Nobody so young should die. I do not think the way she died matters. The fact is she is no longer in this world and whatever peace she was seeking I hope she has found.

shaboontha

cocaine is a hellava drug

RIVAH

The good die young and 27 seems to be checkout time for musical genius.

Just Saying

RIP, Amy. Too bad she went out on such a low note, with her last disasterous concert & all. Seemed like she kept trying to get herself straight but it just never lasted. Lesson learned: Never take that first drug, no matter what kind it is!

Dutchguy

Saddening news. Shocking to read that much vile comments from obvious very stupid people here. One of the great voices of her generation (for my money alongside Stevie Nicks and Karen Carpenter). Rest in peace.

pie

I loved Amy's interpretations of the classics by taking risk with her deep vocals, and really gave a felling of being in the spirit of the song. - She will be sorely missed.