Amy Winehouse

Found Dead

7/23/2011 9:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Amy Winehouse Dead
Amy Winehouse was found dead in her apartment in London today ... TMZ has confirmed.

A press release from the Metropolitan Police, which doesn't specifically name Winehouse, says:

"Police were called by London Ambulance Service to an address in Camden Square NW1 shortly before 16.05hrs today, Saturday 23 July, following reports of a woman found deceased.

On arrival officers found the body of a 27-year-old female who was pronounced dead at the scene.

Enquiries continue into the circumstances of the death. At this early stage it is being treated as unexplained.
"Winehouse famously battled addiction to drugs and alcohol and was in and out of rehab several times throughout the years.

Last month, Winehouse canceled her European tour after a performance in Serbia where she seemed completely out of it.

She was 27.

More Amy Winehouse

0723_died_too_young_footer
More Today in TMZ History

s

yah this isnt surprising one bit. just saying

iluvla

So sad but is anyone really shocked?! We all know it was an overdose. Lindsay Lohan is next!

Rage

... and to all the Haters, Suck it! When you die it won't be Worldwide news and noone will care :D

go home!

Meh, not shocking. I only feel sympathy for her parents because im sure her drug addiction hurt them terribly. Other than that, she did this to herself, people tried to help her and she didnt take their help. I'm surprised she didnt OD sooner. Honestly, I'm glad she is finally gone so I dont have to read horrible stories about her or see her ugly, cracked out face and skinny legs anymore. But I do feel for the parents. And dont worry, they wont be reading TMZ so we can be honest. #truthhurts

BlackGold

For people writing what a waste and when will people learn, have you ever actually known someone with a drug addiction?

Do you think people want to be drug addicts?

Addicts live incredibly troubled lives and try with everything they have to kick their habits.

Imagine have an urge in you that was stronger than everything you have experienced in your life. Stronger than the will to eat and stronger at times than the will to live. In concert with that, throw in some psychological issues and then come back and talk to me.

I was not even a fan of Amy Winehouse but, this is incredibly sad.

Feel free to step out of your glass houses and try to show some empathy.

Sarah

The 27 Club

Mike

Winehouse's death can only be viewed as the conclusion of an already needlessly tragic life.

whatevs

RIP Amy. I was really pulling for you, but I guess that wasn't nearly enough.

KellyBunny

Damn, and I had $20 on August...

Samantha

Such a talented young woman-I really enjoyed her music. May she rest in peace.

Abraham lincoln

WOWOW,sad she was so rich and loaded?what could have gone wrong.??oh yeah Drugs..

RockfrdDrm

I wish I could say I was surprised, but it was easy to see that she was either kick the addictions or die.......obviously the latter prevailed.

Vivian

Its very sad to hear,but more sad to hear about the killings of almost 100 people in Norway! R.i.P

Greygoose125

So sad and somewhat expected. Her talent alone was not enough to keep her alive. At least now she is at peace.

dimes

Very sad, but I agree - not surprising.