Police -- Don't Call Amy's Death an Overdose Yet

7/23/2011 2:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Police in London released their first official statement that acknowledges the death of Amy Winehouse -- but warned that's too soon to say she overdosed on drugs.

0722_amy_BN3
In a statement, London Police Superintendent Raj Kohli said, "Next of kin have been informed, and I can confirm that officers are now satisfied that the deceased is Amy Winehouse."

As for the cause of death, and speculation that Amy -- who had battled drug and alcohol problems for years -- may have OD'ed, Kohli said, "
I am aware of reports suggesting this death is the result of a suspected drugs overdose, but I would like to re-emphasize that no post-mortem examination has yet taken place and it would be inappropriate to speculate on the cause of death."

thekabsin

It would be "inappropriate?" Hahahahaha. I am sure that they are following some sort of procedure but come on now. Everything leading up to her "untimely" death screams overdose. If she did not die of an overdose it will be drug related, that we know with out "the facts." If that is not the case then it is suicide. I have never met her and I have only heard two of her songs but I have seen a billion pictures and articles about her being a drunken, drugged out, mess.

Personally I enjoyed her persona. I love my stars spiraling into the sun when they are not presenting their most recent body of work. For some reason I have an obsession with these types of characters even if I am not interested in their work. I have had my problems with substances. I have lost close friends of mine over the past years that died an "untimely" death. I feel bad for my attitude towards this young woman losing her life but I can't help it and I don't believe anyone here can. She was a druggy battling with inner demons and strained relationships. Everyone saw this coming and all I can say that is not disrespectful is I hope that she finally found her peace in death.

janet

Sad but not a real surprise.

Lori

I suspect it was an overdose, but time will tell. I wonder if they'l bury her in her trademark ballet slippers

Kowny Krush

I gots bigger fish to fry, than to grieve for this train wreck. We ALL knew this was coming.

zoie

I can not believe how evil people are...This poor girl had problems and none of YOU know what they were. Having come back from the brink myself my heart is filled with anger that most of you people DON'T care about anybody but yourself!!! If that was your sister or your best friend your life would never be the same!!!!

Tinalouise

So so sad..addiction of any kind is sometimes just too hard to overcome no matter what. I remember dragging my own mother to rehab centers/hospitals for her alcoholism but she would just get out and head to a bar!! If the person doesn't want help there isn't much anyone, even her closest family members can do.

Happy

Let's wait until the autopsy is done. It could have been a number of things with an addict. Heart attack, stroke, organ failure and so on. it's still shame, my heart goes out to her family and those who were truly her friends.

getreal

she was a train wreck that kept happening over and over, it was only a matter of time. Some people just can't be helped, they have to want help first, and seems like nobody could get through to her.

J Garfield

Lindsay Lohan wake up and don't be next. YOU HAVE WAY TO MUCH TALENT, SO MUCH TO OFFER AND GET YOUR SH$T TOGETHER, drop the leeches who say yes instead of saying no...

debschira

I READ THAT THE PEOPLE IN THE BAR WHERE SHE WAS A REGULAR SAID THAT THEY HAD NOT SEEN HER IN AT LEAST A MONTH AND BEFORE WHEN SHE WAS STILL COMING IN, SHE WAS LOOKING GOOD, LIKE HEALTHY AND FEELING OKAY. I BELIEVE THAT SOMETHING HAPPENED TOTALLY UNFORSEEN LIKE A HEART ATTACK. I KNOW THAT NOT TOO LONG AGO, MAYBE BOUT A YEAR, SHE HAD BEEN TOLD BY HER DOCTORS THAT SHE HAD THE EARLY ONSET OF EMPHYSEMA AND MIGHT HAVE TO START USING OXYGEN. THAT LITERALLY FREAKED ME OUT WHEN I READ THAT CAUSE THAT'S WHAT MY DOC'S TOLD ME IN 2OO5 AND NOW 6 YRS. LATER I WEAR OXYGEN 24/7 AND LIVE BASICALLY DAY TO DAY AND PRAY ALOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT'S WHAT SMOKING FOR 32 YEARS DID FOR ME! I HAVE ALREADY (AND WILL CONTINUE) PRAYED FOR AMY TO REST IN PEACE AND FOR HER FAMILY TO BE COMFORTED IN THEIR TIME OF NEED. MS. AMY WINEHOUSE, I DIN'T LISTEN TO YOUR MUSIC ('CEPT REHAB) BUT FROM WHAT I KNOW, YOU WERE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TALENTED AND LEFT THIS WORLD MUCH, MUCH TOO SOON. REST IN PEACE MY DEAR GIRL, AND STOP BY MY HOUSE ANY TIME YA WANT AND BRING MICHAEL WITH YA! REST EASY NOW IN THE ARMS OF OUR LORD AND SAVIOUR JESUS CHRIST!! THAT'S ALL...................................THANKS FOR READING

La Metiche

R.I.P. Amy

janet

She won't be remembered for her music, just wasted out of her mind and tabloid fodder.

Whitney Houston is another one. Her voice has been shot to hell for years, she's not in any shape to do a show let alone a concert tour. Hell, she was booed off stage. Hence, a cancelled concert due to illness. Houston was wasted.

getreal

I guess the lyrics for her song should have been "They tried to make me go to rehab, I said Yes,yes,yes"

metallicatt

What did TMZ do--Go out and try to find the most horrible pictures of her? Why not put some nice pictures up. There are plenty of them.

LittleMo

The sarsacm isn't really necessary here. Anyone who remembers Andy Gibb knows that he also had drug and alcohol issues but his cause of death was heart failure. The drugs and the booze are very likely what brought on the heart disease that eventually killed him but heart failure was his cause of death. The London police are right and even if we are near certain drugs did this just wait for the post mortem. Until that is completed we're all just speculating anyway.