Dave Chappelle

Gives Crowd the Silent Treatment

7/23/2011 5:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Dave Chappelle bombed on stage last night at a charity event in Miami -- things were so bad, Dave checked his text messages ... in the middle of his show!

0723_dave_chappelle_video

According to reports, Chappelle became distracted by fans who were recording him and began conversing with them and refusing to tell jokes.

CNN reporter Roland S. Martin was in the crowd and tweeted throughout the show, saying, "He's spent more time going back & forth with one audience member, & pretty much stopped telling jokes ... He got texted four times during his show and actually checked them ... He's just staring at the crowd & sighing ... He's been on stage 46 minutes & told one joke."

The event, Zo’s Summer Groove, was put on by former NBA player Alonzo Mourning with the money going towards Alonzo's youth charity.

some guy

This is painful to watch. Only got halfway before I had to shut it off

@TMZ Kinda hard to tell from the vid, but does Dave still have muscles?

some guy

Geez... been reading one of the older posts. Looks like over half my stuff is missing.

Tom C.

Stay classy Davey...

Mark

This very surprising. I went to a lot of comedy shows in Borgota, AC. and Dave Chapelle's show in 2007 was the funniest show I have ever saw. If you liked his tv show then you would love his stand up act. It is a damn shame that he doesn't want to be on TV anymore, or at the very least, tour the country.

Mick Kahler

At least when Michael Richards bombed, he made things interesting with his dumb racist rant. Chappelle has broken the #1 rule of any live performer which is: "Don't be dull."

Criss

Overrated

some guy

I think Chappelle needs to get Roasted. Twice.

After the comedians trash him, Dave should be impaled on a spit and burned alive.

wendy

Wow I am so surprised that David Chappelle was so bad. I am one of his biggest fans...I travel to watch him perform, but this was his worst performance! I was so disapointed in him..What a freaken shame

Mike

Dave Chappelle being unfunny? Shocker.

SLH

the richer they get, the funnier they ain't

zman

Consider it a bad day at work for Dave...Just sayin'

AntiSocialForum.com

Dave Chappelle has always been a crybaby dumbass

CrisDizzle

uh.. uh... so why did the chicken cross the road? uh.... (45 mins later) the chicken cross the road cuz uh... uh.... uh...

the crowd should have shouted: WHERE'S MY REFUND DAMN IT!!!

bec

beside being dull he actually handled this pretty well.. and he is still in my opinion the best stand up comedian EVER.

Me

Why wasn't the person that was filming kicked out? Most venues say right on the ticket that you can't record. Someone that was running this event should have stepped in.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments