Amy's Mom: Her Death Was 'Only a Matter of Time'

7/24/2011 7:55 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Many people believed Amy Winehouse's hard partying ways would lead to her early death ... including her own mother.

0724_amy_winehouse_mother_janis_getty_bn
Janis Winehouse told The Daily Mirror today she believed Amy's death was "only a matter of time" -- this after seeing her just the day before. She told the paper, "She seemed out of it. But her passing so suddenly still hasn’t hit me."

She said Amy told her she loved her as they parted company on Friday, saying, "They are the words I will always treasure ... I'm glad I saw her when I did."

JustMe

She shouldn't have been left alone!!, she was so talented and sang so well and these drugs just ruined her and her voice, she lost her voice a while ago, even if she recovered i think she already knew her voice was gone. I just finished watching a clip of her performing (or trying to) in Serbia, what her management were thinking of letting her out there like a broken puppet is beyond me, not only was she out of it but mentally she just didn't seem all there and can't understand why the crowd kept cheering her on like a sideshow, i don't know what she was on but whatever it is she was just a shell of who she is normally, i'm so sorry she didn't have better friends in her life, so sad. I hope whoever kept helping to get her drugs pays for this, she was a sick girl. Why was she not forced into conservatorship like Britney was? it's obvious she was not ok mentally either, such a waste, more could have been done!! RIP and condolences to her family and people who cared, may the ones who enabled her and used her for money pay for what they've done!!.

JustMe

This really bugs me, she was so talented and sang so well and these drugs just ruined her and her voice, she lost her voice a while ago, even if she recovered i think she already knew her voice was gone. I just finished watching a clip of her performing (or trying to) in Serbia, what her management were thinking of letting her out there like a broken puppet is beyond me, not only was she out of it but mentally she just didn't seem all there, i don't know what she was on but whatever it is she was just a shell seemingly propt up but her drugs, i'm so sorry for she didn't have better friends and people who would have helped steer her clear of these things, so sad. Why was she not forced into conservatorship like Britny was? the law should have allowed it, i know their problems might be different but it's obvious she was not ok mentally either, such a waste, more could have been done!! RIP and condolences to her family.

bb

Sadly Amy's mum is right. There's only so much abuse you can throw at a five foot nothing 90lb body before it gives out. I saw this comming since her terrible last concert - she could barely even stand up, was slurring the words to her own songs something terrible and I kept thinking she was gonna throw up into the microphone. She seemed too weak and burned out to care what anyone thought. It was horrible to watch.

Sandra

Amy was on the fast track to death and no one could have saved her!!

brainchild

To all you people who say "Why didn't her friends and family do more or put her in a rehab clinic or make her do this and that" ---it's quite obvious you have no experience with someone who has SEVERE ADDICTION PROBLEMS. These people cannot be saved. We TRY. We usually fail. My best friend when I was 13 was just like AMY. She was wonderful, but she was also scarily addicted, and I recognized it from a young age myself--and I tried, with her family, to help her. But some people are just born addicted, and no matter what we do, it won't help. Alot of people CAN BE HELPED--but there are also those who can't be. And those people BREAK OUR HEARTS. No matter what family and friends do--it won't help.

So all you commentators who say "where was her family?" or "why didn't anyone help her?", those things were tried many,many times by many, many different people, but it just doesn't work.

Sometimes we just have to love the person, and forgive the illness, even though the illness will kill them and drive the living to great frustration and sadness.

Forgive the sins sinned against one's self--for they know not what they do. Some people FAIL at life. Let's forgive them.

sharmae

PEOPLE make their choices in life-good and bad. It's unfortunate that Amy got messed up with drugs. God does not force Himself on anyone, but is there is people decide to turn their life around and make Him a part of it. No one with any common sense can blame God for the unfortunate mistakes that Amy made in her life, what she put her parents through, etc. God can mend a broken heart, but He must first have all the pieces. Make fun of me if you choose, call me nasty names, etc. but I stand by what I believe in my heart. God isn't the blame in situations like this, but He's definitely the answer if people would only try Him instead of the other things that they try to fill the voids in their lives with. It's all very sad that her life ended the way it did-for her, her family, and all those that loved her.

Donna

My heart goes out to her family. Those who have had a family member who were on the road to self destruction knows the pain . You can not help someone who refuses to help themselves. She had deep seeded issues that she did not want to confront. All anyone can really do in these situations is to give a little guidance and hope they will listen. God Bless the Winehouse family in this time of loss.

JustMe

sorry about the double post, i didn't ok the second one don't know why it still got printed, please delete.

Maggie

Poor mother? Ha, where was she when Amy needed help? When she broke down? It's so much easier to give interviews for money, she should just shut up and take the blame for Amy's death. If your child is brought up to be strong, it doesn't fall for drugs. So disgusting that that woman now gets Amy's money.

superchick008

I was listening to her Back to Black album for about 2 weeks, crazy, but I just had this weird feeling and it was so melancholy, even the up tempo tracks. But was really feeling her music again thinking how timeless it will be, then hearing about her performance in Belgrade, hoping she would truly get it together... I feel bad for her family's and the world's loss of such a talented musician and artist. Sometimes that level of brilliance isn't containable in this world. Thanks Amy for your music while you were here with us.

marsha

I was really sad to hear the news, but not at all surprised. She did not seem to have a good support system around her....just the hangers on who profited from her....very sad. But this seems to be the norm these days. No one ever looks out for the person...just what they can get from them....Elvis, Michael Jackson, on and on. I'm sorry Amy did not find the peace she was looking for. My understanding is he wanted a child so badly....Rest in Peace Amy.....all is good for you now.

anne

@Prince Von A-Hole--Your name is very appropriate. Winehouse died yesterday--how is TMZ 'running it into the ground"? What a joke you are---

JL

May she rest in peace...Her extrordinary music will be in our memories forever.

Abby

To the poster who made the "drug nut" comment. No matter what, she was someone's beloved daughter, and her parents are grieving. No one could have saved her, because she didn't want to be saved. Talented or not (which she was), this is a very sad thing to happen to any parent. My heart goes out to her family.

Ashera

Even the strong can get lost in the drug world / culture. I love how ppl like to make blanket statements.. making it seem like if you fall prey to the influence and destruction of drugs -- that you are somehow defective and weak.

That isn't so. All people and social status' can get lost in it.