NBC News -- We Won't Pay for Casey Anthony ... BUT

7/24/2011 8:37 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

NBC news is apparently reacting to a TMZ story, in which we said Casey Anthony's lawyer is negotiating with the major networks, and big bucks are on the line ... because the network is saying they have not offered any payment for an INTERVIEW ... BUT, it made no mention of other ways of paying handsomely for a chat with the very famous former murder defendant.

0724-baez-mark-casey-networks

TMZ broke the story ... Anthony's lawyer, Jose Baez, was holed up at the swanky Mandarin Oriental Hotel in New York City, negotiating with NBC, ABC and CBS for the first sit-down.  And, as we reported, Baez was in the Hotel bar Thursday night, getting tips from high-profile lawyer Mark Geragos on how to negotiate the best deal.

NBC gave a statement to the New York Post, saying, "We've talked with Baez about getting an interview with Casey Anthony, but only under NBC News standards and conditions -- no payment, and absolutely no job offers for any member of her defense team."

Read carefully -- NBC is saying "no payment," but it refers to an "interview."  That doesn't cover paying huge money for pictures, video, etc.  That's S.O.P. in the network game -- and we're told that's one of the issues Geragos covered with Baez.

As we reported, as of Friday morning ... NBC was the frontrunner in nabbing Anthony.

suza271

Khate sucks 58 minutes ago

Casey Murderer Anthony SHOULD have died in LONDON today NOT talented Winehouse! SHAME SHAME on anyONE or anyTHING that pays this murderer 10cents! She isn't fit to be a janitor for me!

@Khate sucks--

I love how you decide on who should live and who should die. Especially when we all know Winehouse had a serious drug problem and she hasn't been a "serious musician" for years and years. Serious junkie, yes. Now...I'm not saying she SHOULD have died either (as thats not up to me), but someone who shoots up on a daily basis knows the risks.

jpm4444

ABC IS S***; if anthony was innocent she'd be out looking for the murderer of her kid instead of being a sleaze wanting money. Her lawyer is just sleazy.

OJ went golfing; she's pimping people for money. only in America

Hilda

This is sad, she has never told the truth since she was little, she knows how to manipulate the media whicj is what she will do in the interview and Biaz should go to hell with her. Throwing her parents under the bus like she did. Biaz knows the truth and he thre enough lies out there for the jury to vot not guilty. She should date Scott Peterson and tell her story to him, then maybe he can get out too. Two of the worlds biggest liars.

JC

Like I've said before, I don't care if they pay her or not. Whatever network AIRS any kind of interview with her has lost my business forever. It's not even about the money.

And what was with NBCs comment that they aren't offering Baez a job? Sounds like he's looking for a network to HIRE him. For what - his expert legal genius?

2idiots

stella 17 minutes ago
tmz - this is a chance for you to stop doing superficial celebrity exposé's and put your skills to something that is actually morally important.

get us the names of the people at nbc involved in the deal, show us their faces, uncover the ways payment was made, and list the name and contact numbers of the advertisers.
------------
@ STELLA - sadly TMZ does not mean The Moral Zone.

suza271

@stella--

TMZ won't do that because they do claim to be impartial. And, I guarantee you that would be seen as slanting the news. Harvey likes to pretend he's running a real journalistic gem here.

moi

I would not only boycott NBC but also ANY advertiser connected with it.....I myself might not make a difference, but I have a feeling there are MANY more like me....and that just might....

2idiots

Danielle 9 minutes ago
You know that if she does an interview, most of the information will be lies. She is a known liar, why pay someone who doesn't know how to tell the truth. I hope she rots in hell, maybe she should give tips on how to get away with murder.
----
@ Danielle - not to correct you BUT when you said MOST of the information will be lies, I believe you meant ALL of the information will be lies.

whateverIsay

Baez & Anthony would not do ANYTHING for free.

NBC is full of ****. I'm done with the Today Show if the interview takes place!

Renee

What is the point of any interview? All she does is lie anyway.

suza271

@Jeepers--

See...I know you're lying because NBC isn't ANYONE'S favorite network.

Jeanette

ABC,NBC,or any network proves they want to up their rateings at the cost of a dead baby .not to even mention Casey and Baez.you are all sickining..you are all playing in the devils play ground.I hope you all get busted and fall face down in your own vomit..

whateverIsay

How about an interview (deposition) for Zannie the Nanny???

YOU LOOK EXHAUSTED, LIAR!!!!

BOYCOTT WHOMEVER "INTERVIEWS" HER.

Curious

Piggy -
Thank you for replying. And of course, you're right about boycotting not mattering to those who don'*****ch anyway.

The reason I asked was because I got the impression - please correct me if I'm wrong here - that you believed folks were incapable of turning off their televisions for any reason.

I respectfully disagree with that. I believe those of the American public who disapprove of Casey & Baez making money off their infamy have enough honor to turn off the tv, or switch channels, when the interview comes on.

jc

Go ahead and try to spin it however you want to NBC. But, you are paying for that "lawyer" to stay in a fancy hotel so you are already guilty......SHAME ON YOU!!!!
It doesn't matter if your paying for a interview, pictures, college fund, money to be held in escrow for her pet bunny you are still putting money into a murderers hands. And you & your sponsors will be BOYCOTTED!!!