NBC News -- We Won't Pay for Casey Anthony ... BUT

7/24/2011 8:37 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

NBC news is apparently reacting to a TMZ story, in which we said Casey Anthony's lawyer is negotiating with the major networks, and big bucks are on the line ... because the network is saying they have not offered any payment for an INTERVIEW ... BUT, it made no mention of other ways of paying handsomely for a chat with the very famous former murder defendant.

0724-baez-mark-casey-networks

TMZ broke the story ... Anthony's lawyer, Jose Baez, was holed up at the swanky Mandarin Oriental Hotel in New York City, negotiating with NBC, ABC and CBS for the first sit-down.  And, as we reported, Baez was in the Hotel bar Thursday night, getting tips from high-profile lawyer Mark Geragos on how to negotiate the best deal.

NBC gave a statement to the New York Post, saying, "We've talked with Baez about getting an interview with Casey Anthony, but only under NBC News standards and conditions -- no payment, and absolutely no job offers for any member of her defense team."

Read carefully -- NBC is saying "no payment," but it refers to an "interview."  That doesn't cover paying huge money for pictures, video, etc.  That's S.O.P. in the network game -- and we're told that's one of the issues Geragos covered with Baez.

As we reported, as of Friday morning ... NBC was the frontrunner in nabbing Anthony.

Dee

The public knows that the networks pay money for the licensing of pics and videoos. Any network that does an interview with "Tot Mom" will be asking for a huge backlash to themselves and their advertisers. I really think no one wants to hear from her. She had her chance in court to talk and didn't want to then. She let her lawyer do the lying for her.

sybillewoel@hotmail.com

@RAMHEAD The "jobs" come as "legal commentators" or "analysts" on future stories. Geragos knows exactly what to do. Disgusting how Geragos defended Scott Peterson, slimeballs he and Baez both.

Hope Casey is tormented by her dreams the rest of her life. She killed that baby, no 2 ways about it.

Jodi

I WON'T be watching!!!!

allen

if they pay that lieing murduring bitch anything nbc will be know as NOTHING BUT CRAP.

Holli~Peno

these s*** just need to crawl away already.it's bad enough she got away with it.who cares what this skank has to say??

pauli

I will no*****ch.

stella

tmz - this is a chance for you to stop doing superficial celebrity exposé's and put your skills to something that is actually morally important.

get us the names of the people at nbc involved in the deal, show us their faces, uncover the ways payment was made, and list the name and contact numbers of the advertisers.

Holli~Peno

what stella said!

suza271

@JW--

Think again. Do you think the networks are just rolling the dice on a million dollar interview? LOL...NO. NBC, etc. have tons of marketing minons who conduct focus groups, online surveys, etc. to estimate their stake in this interview. Some people feel SO strongly about this particular interview that they can't even see straight. I have no doubt half the people on this board who claim they won'*****ch this interview will secretly turn on their tv that night or load it up on their computer the next day! But, of course, they won't tell anyone they did it. People like that are FEEDING on this story, and now that the information well has run dry, this interview will be the next new "drug" they are fiending for.

As for a boycott of the advertisers, sure, it'll work for oh, three minutes. But, people in America are way too set in their ways, cheap and lazy to really follow through for more than a day or so. The minute that someone needs laundry detergent and Tide is on sale, do you really think they won't buy it. Not to mention, the network might even benefit from a commercial free presentation, or a limited commercial presentation. It's the same story with a boycott of the network. Sure, the US will shut off their TVs for MAYBE the rest of the summer. But, if this is carried on ABC for instance, no one will stop watching Modern Family or Greys Anatomy. To even suggest so is absolutely ridiculous.

You are seriously kidding yourself if you think a boycott (or your "claims" of one) will really matter. The networks KNOW people will watch this, and they wouldn't bet a mill otherwise.

Frank

Please contact these Networks for PAYING CASEY ANTHONY MULIPLE MILLIONS FOR INTERVIEW. BAEZ IS BEING COURTED BY ABC, NBC, AND CBS FOR INTERVIEW. WE CAN STOP THIS. WE HAVE SHUT DOWN WASHINGTON DC's PHONELINES AND JAMMED EMAILS. AS AMERICANS WE CAN REJECT THIS..............BAEZ IS IN ONE OF THE BEST OF THE BEST HOTELS RIGHT NOW. COURTIOUS OF THE NETWORKS.

ABC.com or ABCNEWS.com CALL 212-684-4444
NBC.con or 212-975-4321
CBS.com or 212-456-7777

DON'T LET HER HAVE "BELLA VITTA

Sloane

they'll give her a million to show her photos and videos of Caylee
that's how they pay people indirectly so they can try to fool us and appear to be maintaining their integrity

I will believe them if they show no photos/videos/toys/teddy bears etc. that belonged to Caylee-but you know that will not happen

INSTEAD OF WATCHING IT....

spend that time emailing your
CONGRESSIONAL REPS and SENATORS
to
PASS "CAYLES'S LAW" .....NATIONALLY!!....NOW!!

email all your contacts/friends to do the same

we could not save Caylee
but maybe we can save the next child!!!!!!!!

and

MAKE A LOT OF NOISE TO COMPANIES
TO LET THEM KNOW THAT
SPONSORING THIS MEANS YOU WILL BOYCOT THEM

katielady

I refuse to reward this poor excuse for a human. I will not pay, no*****ch, not read any items re Baez,Anthony et al. She had a jury of her peers, like it or not. Also not interested in the self-indulgent Jenner/Kardas group. Please put more entertaining items online. I think you are all so funny and fun.. don't feed the narcissists. More emphasis on the funny.. thank you.. keep smiling and keep the smiles coming..

Lucifer

2idiots....As well...I appreciate your views and opinion..

fran

@Curious ..hi there ...I agree with you..Casey should have got at least manslaughter...and yes I will boycott stations and sponsors.I never liked or watched these kinds of interviews to begin with, I always find them disgusting...

suza271

@grandma

"It is really a sad sick world when a criminal can make money."

I'm not defending Casey Anthony here, but I DO think maybe you should take a look at your wording. I am a convicted felon. I'm a recovering addict who committed crimes while using and have now cleaned up my act. The biggest issue I faced once I got my life straight was people completely discriminating against me because of my record. I had virtually no chance and went back to using for awhile because of it. I had to look for work for over 5 months after I got clean again and it wasn't until I found just one person who would look past my background check to get a job. And, BTW, I have a Masters Degree.

So, please think about what you're writing and how it might sound before making broad, general statements. Everyone's situation is different and in this country people are way too prejudiced as it is.