« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

U.S. Olympic Skier Commits Suicide In Utah

7/26/2011 4:31 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jeret "Speedy" Peterson -- who won a silver medal for freestyle skiing for the U.S. in 2010 -- has died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound in Utah ... officials have confirmed.

Jeret Peterson Suicide
Salt Lake County Unified Police told KTVB ... Peterson called cops to tell them where he was before he shot himself.  His body was discovered late Monday night.

Peterson was arrested last week in Idaho for speeding and DUI.

Jeret was a 3-time Olympian -- competing in 2002, 2006 and 2010 in Vancouver.

He was 29-years old.

Jeret was famous for his sick signature move called "the Hurricane" -- 3 somersaults and 5 twists. 072611_speedy_peterson_v2_still

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

maggie

He's an awful old looking 29...in fact, looks a little like bruce jenner

Rogue Warrior

lanie, I wasn't talking about the jury!!!!!!! Far from it, THEY WERE RIGHT WITH THEIR VERDICT, try again!

Palm Beach, FL

So very sad, my heart goes out to his family.

Lala

Fkeys,

its called advertising - u don't see it all over this site??

Its called selling pictures and videos to other media entities to reprint by permission.

Harvey also gets paid whenever he makes appearances on behalf of TMZ.

Muppet

Too young to die. RIP my heart goes out to his family and friends.
There's more to this story I think. A DUI and speeding ticket doesn't cause this severity of depression I wouldn't think.

gigi

hey justaguy, i know my day will come. Everyone will and everyone knows that. It's just a reaction to recent celebrity news. Another one of these types. I have seen many deaths and births. First time in psych facility and majority is in for depression and want to kill themselves. So no need to remind of the obvious.

SSinOC

If the guy was popped for DUI several times booze was taking over. With drugs or alcohol abuse your only option is to slide and in some cases it ends with death like this guy. RIP.

Straight Talkin Texan

I'm sad that he was in so much pain and didn't choose a different road.

longbeachgal

This is actually a really sad story. Men's Journal published an article about him last year detailing out his troubled childhood and turmoil in his adult life. Drugs, alcohol, depression, alleged sexual abuse, loss of a sister AND watching one of his best friends commit suicide (via gunshot to the head btw)are just some of the demons this young man faced.

It sounds like he was a very talented but very troubled man. May he find peace.

EarthAngel

Depression is Hell on Earth...

speedy's friend

RIP, Speedy. It makes me so sad to think of you out there, alone, and believing there was no other way. You'll be missed by so many.

Hello is anybody in there?

R.I.P. Jeret "Speedy" Peterson.

John

Only in Utah. Guns rights big issue there. You've got to be armed -- so you can off yourself.

stu

Was he sober when he did those flips? Get on tat TMZ!

idahohunny

My heart goes out to his mom and family. I just saw his mom a few weeks ago and she looked so pretty & at peace. So sorry about Speedy.