« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

U.S. Olympic Skier Commits Suicide In Utah

7/26/2011 4:31 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jeret "Speedy" Peterson -- who won a silver medal for freestyle skiing for the U.S. in 2010 -- has died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound in Utah ... officials have confirmed.

Jeret Peterson Suicide
Salt Lake County Unified Police told KTVB ... Peterson called cops to tell them where he was before he shot himself.  His body was discovered late Monday night.

Peterson was arrested last week in Idaho for speeding and DUI.

Jeret was a 3-time Olympian -- competing in 2002, 2006 and 2010 in Vancouver.

He was 29-years old.

Jeret was famous for his sick signature move called "the Hurricane" -- 3 somersaults and 5 twists. 072611_speedy_peterson_v2_still

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Josephina

This is so sad. Please remember that if you ever feel suicidal to CALL a friend, family member, or a helpline before taking your own life. They don't know what they would do without you.

Muppet

longbeachgal 14 minutes ago
This is actually a really sad story. Men's Journal published an article about him last year detailing out his troubled childhood and turmoil in his adult life. Drugs, alcohol, depression, alleged sexual abuse, loss of a sister AND watching one of his best friends commit suicide (via gunshot to the head btw)are just some of the demons this young man faced.

It sounds like he was a very talented but very troubled man. May he find peace.
__________

Thank you for this post. It gives people like myself a bit more background to understand what lead him to this point in his life. Very sad story to read.

idahohunny

R.I.P. Speedy "The Hurricane" Peterson. We will miss you in Idaho.

JustaGuy

Josephina 23 minutes ago

-------

All good in theory, except no one wants to approach a family member or a friend about the issues they are having. I've actually done it in the past many years ago to a friend, and
I honestly got the response of "everyone has problems, my problems are worse than yours" type of attitude.

Even if they understand no one wants to expose themselves as totally weak and vulnerable like that.
Thats just a fact.

It's something that would held over you every single time you saw them in the future.

mozilla

So very, very sad and much too young..Did no one see this coming? Have some empathy folks, he couldn't handle the pain.may he rest in peace and may his family and friends find comfort from thier higher power.....

mannequin

Gosh, surely he didn't think a DUI was worth ending ones life. I think for some people, fame may be a bad thing. Condolences to his family and those that knew him...

mikev

Nobody knows the weight of the burdens of a suicide victim.
One should not judge. I do not agree with the act but there are many unanswered questions, one which are painful for family members. It is a sad story and I extend my condolence to his family.

3JJJ

Suicide is the most selfish thing you could ever do . They no longer feel the pain but there family gets torn apart and has to deal with it the rest of there life. Booo whooooo i hit a bump in the road. I better let my family deal with the after math! I hope this piece of **** rots in hell!!!!!!

Kevin

why cant lindsey lowhore kill herself as well?

JustaGuy

3JJJ you must have the logic and reasoning of a typical sheep.

Selfish? are you serious? are you programmed to say that?
You think a person who would actually choose to END their one and only life shouldn't do it because others are left behind?

God, people like you make me vomit.
No joke.

What a total dweeb statement, and SO over used by sheep such as yourself, time and time again.

What a freaking ridiculous thing to say that if a man would rather end his only life than be on this planet, which if you realized what it would take to come to that conclusion you think
he should then go... Oh I'd do it, but I better not..
I'd be leaving people breathing behind.

I should just stick around for another 50 years being miserable
for purely the sake of other people.

God you're lame.

IceGypsy

My thoughts are with his family and friends.

To those that say it takes balls to end one's life...it takes more balls to live out life. Suicide is the easy way out. It's too bad he didn't seek help

rico

RAY, YOU MUST BE ONE OF THOSE ****** A**HOLES.GO CRAWL BACK UNDER YOUR ROCK.

Amber

Whyyyyyyyyyy?! That's so sad...

Kathy

How very sad.

But I disagree with a couple of these postings. I think it takes some balls just to live every day. Suicide really is the easy way out.

stu

is tat a tumor in his right cheek or is he happy to see me?