joe pesci sues

I GOT FAT AND SCREWED

BY "GOTTI" EXECS

7/27/2011 4:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0727-joe-pesci-ex
Joe Pesci
is suing the producers of  "Gotti: In the Shadow of My Father," claiming his deal was so iron-clad, he gained 30 pounds for his role, only to be told he wasn't wanted anymore.

In the lawsuit, Pesci claims reps from Fiore Films offered him the critical role of Angelo Ruggiero, Gotti's close friend and enforcer. Pesci says he made a deal for $3 million.

But Pesci says after he was lured into making public statements about how happy he was to appear in the movie -- which stars John Travolta as John Gotti, Jr. -- the producers pulled the deal, claiming Pesci breached the deal by trying to back out.

Pesci claims he was offered a lesser role -- playing Anthony "Gaspipe" Casso -- for the lesser fee of $1 mil.

But this is the best part. Pesci's lawyer claims his client relied on the contract by assuming the character of Ruggiero in every respect: "[Pesci] has since ended his very strict and healthy diet, and has so far gained approximately 30 pounds in anticipation of playing Ruggiero, who was well known for his heavy and stocky build."

Pesci is suing for $3 million minimum, as well as punitive damages.

Producers tell us they are unaware of the lawsuit.

wow ew

what's going on with the site? the layout is completely changed.

MIKE

Give them hell Joe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Abe

HARVEY, I HATE THE NEW LAYOUT. BRING BACK THE OLD ONE AND MAKE AN IPAD APP INSTEAD.

x

Saddened

TMZ' new layout - KILL THE ALL CAP TITLES! They are raping my eyes!!

YUCK!

Superman

This movie will never be made. And if by chance it does, it's going to bomb.

I hate the new TMZ layout. Like the old way better. The only change needed on the old way would be to make the main page pictures and summary smaller.

Superman

We can't type in paragraphs. The like/dislike feature and reply button are worthless. Add an edit button and take all that other crap off. The old way was better. Just add an edit button and make the main page pictures/summary smaller.

Truth

test

Daniella M Rutel

You are the OG gangsta!

Ace

Don't they use contracts...dah

Leeza

TMZ PRODUCERS: I don't like your new graphics/bold typefaces on your headlines. It makes you look like a sleezy tabloid, which I don't think you are. Please return to the basics -- true reporting and no hype. Thx!

MoonDust

RETURN TMZ.COM TO WHAT IT USED TO BE!!!

emerald

Interesting, If he had a deal for $3mil settled and he was getting into the part he had to have felt it was a done deal - nobody puts on 30 pounds overnight and they sure don't do it in the movie world unless the are bulking up for a film (well mostly lol!)!! Perhaps the producers are just trying to cut down on salaries - especially since Travolta is playing Gotti and his salary is bound to be massive lol! If you issue a lawsuit like this it's either p.r to let everyone know you've been screwed over and stir things up, or you have the proof and want the money lol! Whatever, now Joe's got to diet again to lose the 30 pounds he's not been available to work elsewhere and has provided p.r for the film so yeah, he'll get his money - even if they tell us he didn't lol!!

BigmoneyBleezy

In all serious, John Gotti was not a great Mob Boss, he was obsessed with fame and therefore his tactics with the mob were interfered with his judgement, as for Travolta as the lead, thats a bigger mistake, as more people probably remember him as the lovable dad from look who's talking and the soft biker from grease more so than anything. Terrible casting in my opinion. I agree with getting a big name for the lead, but this was totally wrong. Victoria gotti had her hand in this and it shows.

BigmoneyBleezy

Also, TMZ you should do a mass overhaul on your commenting, I never can tell when people respond nor will I scroll the countless pages to see if they did, I would recommend something like youtubes. It would probably generate more traffic if people are more aware of when people respond to their comments, its also highly un-motivating to comment when you know there wont be any type of response alert.

Molotov

What? Do I amuse you? Like a clown? I make you laugh? I'm here to amuse you?!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments