« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

U.S. Skier's Heartbreaking 911

"I'm Gonna Kill Myself"

7/28/2011 2:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

** WARNING -- THE 911 TAPE IS EXTREMELY EMOTIONAL AND VERY SAD **

Jeret Peterson 911 Call
U.S. Olympic
skier Jeret "Speedy" Peterson called 911 moments before he committed suicide Monday ... and while fighting back tears, the 29-year-old told the operator, "I'm going to kill myself."

Peterson then gave his location to the operator and said, "I want police to come get the body." He then hung up the phone.

Cops in Summit County, Utah responded to the spot where Peterson said he would be ... and found the skier's body "obviously deceased from what appeared to be a gunshot wound to the head."

According to the police report, obtained by TMZ, Peterson left a suicide note ... but cops are not releasing it to the public.

Peterson was one of the best freestyle skiers in the world. He competed in 3 Olympics for the U.S.  ... winning a silver medal in Vancouver in 2010.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

chuck.bartowski73

Take this down

Michelle

I really don't understand the morbid obsession with listening to the 911 tapes like this.

Wizard

I am quite disgusted that TMZ would post this. I know that you are "tabloid journalist", but there is nothing redeeming about posting this.

Dade

ugh soo sad

who cares

How can a inaudible recording be extremely emotional and sad tmz? Is this what they call sensationalism or just overly sensitive employee writing this story?

Wizard

you should really remove this post

Yolanda

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE remove this! This man's pain should not be promoted as entertainment.

Monica

I cannot believe that you would post the 911 call. Very disrespectful. How desperate he must have been and scared that he would even call 911. He obviously was hoping for one word that could have changed his actions. My heart goes out to his family and friends. I hope what ever he was going though, he is now at peace. Very tragic.

writenow

Is TMZ going for the classless award? Great. You won.
Move over Rupert. I didn't listen to the tape...having guessed it would be sad. But posting it is a new kind of tacky.

Magic Gayle

If you haven't listened, don't, it's disturbing. Of course we are curious but some things we don't need to know. It's a private matter. My sympathies to the family.

Kris

My uncle did the same thing, I don't know what it would be like hearing his last words and the pain he must of been in, but if I had a chance to listen to it, i probably would have.

Yolanda

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE remove this post from your website! This man's pain should NOT be promoted as entertainment!

Anna

HAVE SOME DAMN RESPECT TMZ AND DON'T POST SOMETHING LIKE THIS!!!

bring back recent posts

..awwwwwww....wish i didn't listen to that..suxs for his family and friends..

bee

I will never go on your site again. Did you think of his family at all before posting?. I'm a mother and god help you if this was my son. Your website is complete trash!!!!!!!!