« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

U.S. Skier's Heartbreaking 911

"I'm Gonna Kill Myself"

7/28/2011 2:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

** WARNING -- THE 911 TAPE IS EXTREMELY EMOTIONAL AND VERY SAD **

Jeret Peterson 911 Call
U.S. Olympic
skier Jeret "Speedy" Peterson called 911 moments before he committed suicide Monday ... and while fighting back tears, the 29-year-old told the operator, "I'm going to kill myself."

Peterson then gave his location to the operator and said, "I want police to come get the body." He then hung up the phone.

Cops in Summit County, Utah responded to the spot where Peterson said he would be ... and found the skier's body "obviously deceased from what appeared to be a gunshot wound to the head."

According to the police report, obtained by TMZ, Peterson left a suicide note ... but cops are not releasing it to the public.

Peterson was one of the best freestyle skiers in the world. He competed in 3 Olympics for the U.S.  ... winning a silver medal in Vancouver in 2010.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Frank

Wow!! You should be ashamed of yourself posting this audio.

Alicia

TMZ----I AM BEGGING YOU GUYS TO PLEASE PLEASE REMOVE THIS FRO YOUR SITE. THIS IS A HUMAN BEING IN SO MUCH PAIN, ALL ALONE, AND IT'S SO SAD TO SEE THAT EXPLOITED IN THSI WAY AND HAVE ALL THESE COLD HEARTED PEOPLE MAKING SUCH CRUEL COMMENTS. MY HEART BREAKS FOR HIM AND OUT OF RESPECT FOR HIM AND HIS FAMILY I HOPE YOU REMOVE THIS.
PLEASE DO THE RIGHT THING. I AM STUNNED AND DISGUSTED AT THE CALLOUSNESS OF SOME OF YOU PEOPLE MAKING SUCH CRUEL COMMENTS, I HOPE NEITHER YOU OR A LOVED ONE ARE EVER IN THE POSITION THIS POOR MAN WAS IN.

Smoke

Speedy was inspiration to many people who battled past demons in their lives. I remember watching the 2010 Olympics with my brother, and immediately embracing his story because I could relate. I feel so sad for his family, friends, and fellow fans.

Marisa

I think you shouldn't have posted this. That's too disrespectful to the family.I can't even imagine the pain this man felt calling 911. Very sad story. Hope he is in peace now.

RJ Hunt

Suicide is a permanent solution to a TEMPORARY problem...

ChristineTV

TMZ, I have never, ever faulted you for releasing anything, but this is truly tasteless and awful. This poor man has a family, and they now have to deal with his last moments being offered up for all the world. He wasn't a celebrity, he was a world class athlete, and as far as I can tell, he had never done anything to pander to public opinion. I am all for freedom of the press, but shame on you.

Lauren

i wish he had stayed on the line alittle longer so the operator could talk him out of it, at least til help got there.

Smooch

Unbelievable. No way would I click and listen. You've posted some pretty low stories over the years but this is just shameful. Disgustingly shameful.

jpm4444

This was hard to hear; people forget his best friend killed himself before this and he was very despondent. rip

Rhonda C. Poynter

I was torn between listening to this, and not wanting to pass judgement on you without listening to it - and so I listened, and the comments are right: This was low. One thing about your site and your show is that they are almost fun(ny) at times, with crazy polls, funny cameramen, etc. - reading your site has only made me want to consider dropping you a couple of times: Last month, when you basically posted a video of a dead woman walking, with Amy self-annihilating onstage....and this. This was just sleazy, Guys, please don't sink to this level again. =(

Sadie

I am so very sorry, you poor lamb. My heart breaks for you, I wish someone could have helped you.

chuck.bartowski73

I wish they would have taken this down because I did not want to listen to it. But I listened to it and **** it figures the person on the other end can't hear him. It is like **** when the hell can you catch a break.

Sadie

I am so sorry, you poor lamb. I wish there could have been someone to help you through this. My heart breaks.

tumh2o

This is a recording of a rape in progress.. TMZ is sneaky.

And YOU TMZ are the ones raping this young man..
You are raping his everlasting soul for profit to pay off your collective plastic surgery and your plastic credit cards and your plastic lives in Hollywood..
You are a disgrace to ALL Americans!

tumh2o

This is rape on so many levels it sickens me.
In your warped binary TMZ paradigm of page views equals money you have failed to notice your other hand ever so gently unzipping your pants and having your way with this mans soul..

Like Rowdy Roddy Piper with his X ray glasses... I SEE YOU TMZ!!