« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

U.S. Skier's Heartbreaking 911

"I'm Gonna Kill Myself"

7/28/2011 2:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

** WARNING -- THE 911 TAPE IS EXTREMELY EMOTIONAL AND VERY SAD **

Jeret Peterson 911 Call
U.S. Olympic
skier Jeret "Speedy" Peterson called 911 moments before he committed suicide Monday ... and while fighting back tears, the 29-year-old told the operator, "I'm going to kill myself."

Peterson then gave his location to the operator and said, "I want police to come get the body." He then hung up the phone.

Cops in Summit County, Utah responded to the spot where Peterson said he would be ... and found the skier's body "obviously deceased from what appeared to be a gunshot wound to the head."

According to the police report, obtained by TMZ, Peterson left a suicide note ... but cops are not releasing it to the public.

Peterson was one of the best freestyle skiers in the world. He competed in 3 Olympics for the U.S.  ... winning a silver medal in Vancouver in 2010.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Griffin

Tacky of TMZ to post. Have some respect for his family. It wasn't enough to report on the content of the 911 call? You needed everyone to hear the despair in his voice? I enjoy your site, but sometimes you make the most distasteful decisions. My sympathies to the family. Proof that we are ALL susceptible to Depression, no matter how successful we are in life. I am sorry he felt compelled to do this but I do understand.

Dale

Why does 911 release these tapes to the media? It's a disgusting policy that makes the suicide even more difficult for the families, having to listen to their loved one's pain exposed to the public. The media/gossip sites have no ethics, they could care less about the person, their first priority is what might sell/attract more readers/viewers. Their argument is always that the public has the right to know. They hide behind The Constitution. It just shows how classless the media has become.

who cares

FLOOD TMZ TIP LINE WITH COMPLAINTS ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS TYPE IN THE RED BOX TOP RIGHT WHERE IT SAYS "GOT A TIP"

Lisa

OK...enough TMZ. You guys are sinking lower and lower every day. This is not something that should be out there for anyone and everyone to hear. His family, friends and fans are heartbroken enough and still in shock over this and you guys(Harvey) are patting yourselves on the back and giving high fives that you were able to get this audio and post it. Shame on every single one of you that had a hand in this. You disgust me and I will NEVER visit your site or watch your show again. You make me ill.

R.I.P JDP

This should be taken down. It's sad enough that this tragic event has been placed upon us let alone having to hear his last words! Out of kindness and sincerity pease take this call off the page.

Elisha

Out of respect to his family, I wish this was not posted here.

Disgusted

Harvey, you are truly a twisted and classless individual that apparently only cares about lining your bank account. Obviously not your smartest decision. I won't be back.

Kiko

Whenever TMZ gets cornered about not adhering to any journalistic standards, they ALWAYS insist that TMZ is nothing more than an entertainment site.

Apparently those at TMZ find this entertaining...

Alisha

I can't for the life of me imagine having an audio clip that consisted of my loved ones voice announcing they were going to kill themselves. It would haunt me for the rest of my life and I'd be robbed of the memories of his voice from better times and instead I'd be left with hearing his words filled with pain. I pray that his loved ones never have to hear this.

ProPaw

This young man survived through more in his young life than most of us can have nightmares about. May he finally find peace. I'll never understand why media outlets release 911 calls. Classless, tasteless.

Fallopia Lopez

A shanda. Creepy, classless and beneath even you, TMZ.

spyke

I agree that it's tasteless to post this but TMZ won't be the only ones playing this over and over on the news for everyone to hear. I don't understand why 911 calls are released to the public unless there is a lawsuit or some other legal reason they need to be heard. I am one of the ones who didn't listen but like the rest of you I come to this site for entertainment news and we cannot expect any better from a tabloid site. These people are not journalists, they are entertainment paps and commentators, you can't expect them to have an ounce of class or respect for anyone. They post shots here of people picking their nose and headlines about "ripped" pregnant men and that kind of crap. We know what we are getting when we come here, and to complain about it is like suing McDonalds for serving fast food. What do you expect? As for the 911 operator I have often been annoyed by some of their actions (not from personal experience) but we don't know how bad this person must have felt for not being able to do anything.

soulofanangel

How desperately alone he was in his last moments of life of this Earth...so much talent, fame and still not enough to be hopeful. His last act was to have his body retrieved, his last act of obligation.

Ultimately, we must be ok in our skin and sometimes it just isn't enough.

May you soar down mountains in Heaven with a peaceful soul.

soulofanangel

Ultimately, we must be ok in our skin and sometimes it just isn't enough.

May you soar down mountains in Heaven with a peaceful soul.

|||||||||||||||||||

Is the dispatcher deaf? "someone stole your car?" lmfao