Meat Loaf

PASSES OUT

DURING CONCERT

7/29/2011 5:17 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

072911_meatloaf_long_still

Scary moment at a Meat Loaf concert in Pittsburgh last night -- when Meat Loaf collapsed on stage ... and medics rushed to his aid. But this story has a happy ending.

After a short time on his back, Mr. Loaf actually got up ... regained his composure ... and FINISHED THE SHOW!

A short time later, during a performance of "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" -- Meat explained everything that went wrong last night:

"I f**king fainted. I have asthma ... I can't breathe ... and then ... oh wait, I forgot ... I got poked by a pin and bled half to death ... and then I got slapped in the face and my tooth is loose."

Helluva night.

Scrum

Maybe they should throw sandwiches on stage instead of flowers and stuff!

jason

HIS NAME IS ROBERT PAULSON.
HIS NAME IS ROBERT PAULSON.

spyke

Hey he got up and finished the concert, that's impressive. I can't imagine how hard it must be to sing with asthma.

Scott

I was at the concert and Meat loaf still puts on an excellent show.

Muppet

I have felt sad for this man since I watched his blow up with Gary Bussey on celebrity apprentice. The poor man was wearing his t-shirt inside out and no one noticed! I fear he has something seriously wrong with him! I guess the $$$ are worth more than his health. :(

TheTruthAsISeeIt

Is it me or has Meatload used up his 15 minutes of fame?

If sense were common everyone would have it.

Damn, Meat. You can't burn it like you used to. You won't have to give up quality if you slow down. We'll understand. Jeez!

Milf Biggenson

Go Meat! The guy is a pro. Every single interview I have ever seen with Meat Loaf, he has proven to be a hilarious, intelligent and genuine real human being. The fact that I first saw in 74 during the Rocky Horror Picture Show and almost 40 years later he's still around, giving his fans all he's got, come on. Give him a break. I'd like to shake his hand one day and thank him for the years of entertainment he's provided. Have you seen his acting? Fight Club? He should definitely be in more movies too.

Claire C McMillan

I hope Meat is doing better now!

the Pat-Mann

It's 1977 all over again. Just before "Bat Out Of Hell" was released I was working at a college radio station in NJ. I had the honor of being the first DJ to play the record, as a rep from the record company personally delivered the album.

That having been said, we heard from several sources back then that Meat Loaf had a reputation from passing out on stage.

Lastly, I had the pleasure of meeting and working for Meat Loaf during his "Neverland Express" tour. I've seen him when he was cool, and seen his temper, as well. Luckily, I was never on his bad side.

Get well, Meat!

SistahSoul

Be careful Meatloaf, you're not a spring chicken anymore..

jeva

Besides the asthma, he has diabetes and Wolff–Parkinson–White syndrome (WPW) Patients are usually asymptomatic. However, during supraventricular tachycardia the individual may have symptoms of palpitations (sudden onset and termination of a fast heart rate), dizziness, shortness of breath, and occasionally fainting/near fainting during episodes of supraventricular tachycardia. An ECG will show the telltale "Delta wave".

David

I have asthma too and it takes awhile to get to the point where you can't breath. He should have used his inhaler.

Eleonora49

Please be nice !!I live in Pittsburgh and its been hotter than hell in the last few Months.I lived in Panama and other warm places but this heat is unreal!! He collapsed because of our weather here! I have people coming from Florida saying it's hotter here than there! Poor Meat loaf!

CoProducer

I submit you to the case of yet another entertainer in self-destruct mode. Ladies and gentlemen, Meat Loaf has long been past his prime, and is refusing to accept it. His self-destructive desire to impress an audience will lead him to almost certain ruin.

His vocal quality live has been deteriorating since the end of the late Nineties, and some may chalk that up to an intercordal cyst that was only diagnosed and treated in 2007. But, one may ask, what put it there? Seems like Mr. Loaf needs a little courage before he gets onstage.

His tour rider (posted at TheSmokingGun.com: http://www.thesmokinggun.com/backstage/arena-rock/meat-loaf-0) lists several hard alcoholic beverages in his immediate vicinity both offstage and on the bus. I can even list the brand names: Patron Silver, Joseph Phelps Insignia, Flora Springs Estate, Jasper Hill, Longmeadow Ranch, Turnbull Cabernet, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Clos du Bois, Ferrari Gerano, Silverado, Sterling, Wm. Hill, Stolichnaya, Kendall Jackson Chardonnay, Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio, 12 Coronas with lime slices in a stage-side cooler, another 12 along with 12 local beers (both earmarked as "for the crew"), and another red wine and white wine for the tour bus. Now, I'm no doctor, but I do know alcohol causes cysts and vocal trouble, and can affect one's heart. I know Mr. Loaf has Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome, which was first diagnosed in 2003, but no clue what effect alcohol may have on it.

So let's do the math... He was dressed in long sleeves, mostly black in color, on a 100 degree day, during an outdoor gig. Add to this asthma, and Mr. Loaf's frequent penchant for dashing about the stage (well, as much as Mr. Loaf can dash). And then the heart condition. Add liquor which easily dehydrates a person, and you get Meat Loaf, over-cooked and under the weather.

Somebody put this guy in a drunk tank for an extended period of time, and see if his mood swings and vocal issues don't dry up rather quickly.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments