AMY WINEHOUSE

IN THE PROCESS OF ADOPTING

A GIRL BEFORE DEATH

7/31/2011 7:16 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Amy Winehouse Adoption
Amy Winehouse was preparing to adopt a 10-year-old girl from the island of St. Lucia, the girl and her grandmother told a British paper today.

The girl -- Dannika Augustine (seen above with Amy) -- says she met the singer during one of Amy's visits to the island over the past few years. She says she was living in poverty with her single mom when Amy took an interest in her.

Dannika tells The Sunday Mirror, "Amy was already my mother. I would call her mum and she would call me her daughter. She took care of me and we had fun together. I loved her and she loved me ... She was the most amazing person and I was looking forward to living with her here or in London. I cannot believe she is gone. This is the worst thing that ever happened to me."

Dannika's grandmother Marjorie says she spoke to Amy a few weeks ago and that Amy planned to return to St. Lucia next month. She told the paper, "Amy wanted to have a child so bad. If she had not died, there is no doubt she would be here in St Lucia completing the adoption process. There is no way she would have done what she did to herself if Dannika was with her."

Both of Dannika's parents had signed off on the adoption.

e_bear

OLD NEWS TMZ! her publicist denied this rumour in 2009:
Tabloid reports suggesting the 'Back To Black' star was eager to help underprivileged children on the island were taken out of context, according to her spokesman.

"Amy was talking about adopting in the context of looking after children on the island, perhaps through some kind of music and education-based project," Contactmusic quotes him as saying.

some guy

So I'm assuming everyone poo-pooing on this story saw Amy interact with this child.
The girl in the pic looks like she really likes Amy. I don't think this photo was staged. Guess we'll never really know, seeing how Amy's dead and all.
If the kid's parents were willing to sign off on the adoption, who are you all to say Amy would have made a bad parent? I think the parents had their child's best interest in mind in wanting to get her out of poverty.

writenow

Clearly the authorities there are no better than the authorities CPS authorities in the U.S.

Why do the American people agree to continued funding of these pensions? What's up with DAs?

Mikey

Another nut who gets some money and goes shopping for a black kid. Didn't matter to her that the kid already had a mom. Madonna, Bullock, Jollie, Winehouse, who's next GaGa?

Sonja

I don't get the whole 'taking a child out of poverty' thing. If you care help the child and their family.. this child had a mother and grandmother, sure they want a better life for the kid but to just say sure here is my child, you can have her is screwy.

writenow

Just like Charlie Sheen's judge isn't protecting his kids, what's up with DAs not bringing criminal charges against state agencies which repeatedly refuse to perform?

And why isn't the Justice Department closing them down?

What's clear is Americans don't mind paying taxes for state agencies which treat kids as disposable. Which makes us - pretty ugly.

Cecilia

You should not have a child to save or change your life. That makes it about you. It should be about the child.

I'm very sorry this little girl was born in poverty, but that does NOT make Amy the answer nor would it have made her a good parent. You do not solve one problem for a child by throwing them into another, only different problem.

Hopefully Amy was already financially assisting the family.

some guy

If the parents were willing to sign off on the adoption papers, it probably means they don't want her. I think Amy really loved this child.

WTF

That must have been happening in some alternate universe.

bunny

Had she not died when she adopted that child, she would have died after. I seriously hope no adoption agency thinks a drug addict is fit to be a parent.

ELI

This hogwash is about as ludicrous as Casey Anthony saying she might possibly adopt another child!

All the adoption agencies in both cases would just have to look at the first question: Name: Amy Winehouse
or
Name: Casey Anthony

DECLINED!!!!!

Observer999

I don't buy it for a second, let's see some do***entation or letters to back it up. And, even if it were true, there is no way in hell Winehouse would have been approved to adopt a kid, by any country.

Meanie

I call BullS**T

kcfaith

They'll give about anyone a child if you're a celebrity...digusting.

yownow

@David Jong, the entire world saw Amy interact with life and we see the results. Addicts don't need to adopt a defensless child to have a "life altering" experience. Addicts need to have a "life altering" experience before they are even considered as adoptive parents.

The thought of anyone in Amy's condition before her passing actually adopting a child is beyond the realm of reality. That is utter and complete insanity.