AMY WINEHOUSE

IN THE PROCESS OF ADOPTING

A GIRL BEFORE DEATH

7/31/2011 7:16 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Amy Winehouse Adoption
Amy Winehouse was preparing to adopt a 10-year-old girl from the island of St. Lucia, the girl and her grandmother told a British paper today.

The girl -- Dannika Augustine (seen above with Amy) -- says she met the singer during one of Amy's visits to the island over the past few years. She says she was living in poverty with her single mom when Amy took an interest in her.

Dannika tells The Sunday Mirror, "Amy was already my mother. I would call her mum and she would call me her daughter. She took care of me and we had fun together. I loved her and she loved me ... She was the most amazing person and I was looking forward to living with her here or in London. I cannot believe she is gone. This is the worst thing that ever happened to me."

Dannika's grandmother Marjorie says she spoke to Amy a few weeks ago and that Amy planned to return to St. Lucia next month. She told the paper, "Amy wanted to have a child so bad. If she had not died, there is no doubt she would be here in St Lucia completing the adoption process. There is no way she would have done what she did to herself if Dannika was with her."

Both of Dannika's parents had signed off on the adoption.

Bri23

Hate to be so cynical but *IF* it is true, what kind of laws are in place in St Lucia that allow them to adopt children out to people with problems like Amy Winehouse? She was unstable.

L-LOFAN

Maybe Amy was a bad person but Lindsay is good and she would make a great Mom. She would never try to live off her daughter or make money from someone else's misfortune.

emma21

oh Amy :"(even tho you couldn't make urself happy u want to make another poor kid happy,, so thoughtful :"(

Kelly

-----
Those are not the words of a child, let alone of poverty and lack of education, they are the words of someone who see's possible profit from a death.
They covered all the bases in one statement, something just doesn't add up right about this story

nyer566

It may have been a wonderful thing for the girl and Amy if Amy had straightened out. Some people just can't do it. I worked in a drug rehab many years and 2 percent stay clean. Its a shame.

Jackie

Which agency would let a drug user to adopt? Soon will be more claims about money...etc.

branjs

Every single story about any celebs doing anything nice for people or whatever people have something negative to say. Amy was trying to do something good what makes you people so great?

wiptidoo

How crazy! Everyday normal loving parents try to adopt a child and can't because of legalities and this lady with drug habits galore who could not take care of herself was in the process of adopting a 10 year old???!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I guess money can buy "almost" anything.

John

The little girl knew a good deal when she saw it. Doesn't it say she had a mother? I wonder if Amy had a will? Hope she's not banking on Sandra or Angelina.

D-INCARNATION

Old picture pre-implants

Lauren

why would u give her a kid?? she did drugs and drank

sharon

have to say Amy looks very well in that photo!

Kari

It's very sweet that she wanted to help this girl, but it would have been better if she had successfully gotten ahold of her addictions before she adopted.

emma21

I wish people put more time and energy into LOVE + being HELPFUL Instead of being negative and LAME.

A.M.D

I understand the child is living in poverty and at this time she thinks being the daughter of Amy would have been "great". Sad that she died but the child is better off where she is.