AMY WINEHOUSE

IN THE PROCESS OF ADOPTING

A GIRL BEFORE DEATH

7/31/2011 7:16 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Amy Winehouse Adoption
Amy Winehouse was preparing to adopt a 10-year-old girl from the island of St. Lucia, the girl and her grandmother told a British paper today.

The girl -- Dannika Augustine (seen above with Amy) -- says she met the singer during one of Amy's visits to the island over the past few years. She says she was living in poverty with her single mom when Amy took an interest in her.

Dannika tells The Sunday Mirror, "Amy was already my mother. I would call her mum and she would call me her daughter. She took care of me and we had fun together. I loved her and she loved me ... She was the most amazing person and I was looking forward to living with her here or in London. I cannot believe she is gone. This is the worst thing that ever happened to me."

Dannika's grandmother Marjorie says she spoke to Amy a few weeks ago and that Amy planned to return to St. Lucia next month. She told the paper, "Amy wanted to have a child so bad. If she had not died, there is no doubt she would be here in St Lucia completing the adoption process. There is no way she would have done what she did to herself if Dannika was with her."

Both of Dannika's parents had signed off on the adoption.

OhRight

Sad to say that the girl is probably better off without Amy...and goes to show that if you have enough money, evan a drunk/drugged out junkie can buy pretty much anything...even another human being.

Barbarascy

I'm having a little trouble with this. I know people who are average, good people and they can't adopt children. It's either because they don't have the cash, or they are gay, or have other issues. Now you want me to believe that Ms. Winehouse, whom might have been a very descent person, but was a notorious drug addict was about to adopt a child? Anything is possible I guess, but I don't really believe this. I don't think there is a reputable adoption agency ANYWHERE that would give Ms. Winehouse a child. There are shady people that will get you a child for the right amount of money, but short of that I don't believe this story at all.

Harpoo67

How nice! Amy could have introduced yet another black person into the world of crack. Also, this kid's mother was willing to sell her own daughter to a junkie for money. Some people should not be allowed to adopt just like other people should not be allowed to procreate.

Bruno

Amy Wino couldn't/wouldn't save herself. There was no chance she could "save" a child from anything, either.

Blue

The english tabloids ran stories about this girl when Amy was in the islands a couple of years ago.

Sounds like now that Amy is dead, someone is using this child to cash in, at the very least by selling stories. I feel very sad for the child, she is so young and lost a friend.

jlgrr

Oh! GREAT role model! Crazy to give a person with that trbl'd background a child!

mike holly

thats a nice stunt :)

DeepSleep

thank god she didnt adopt, with her out of control drug and beer abuse would of probley killed the kid too

Hohan

You gotta be ******* kidding me ... "no, no sweetheart, there is the right way to use a crack pipe and there is the wrong way."

GG1000

Count your blessings, Dannika. Drug addicts generally are not known to be great parents!

Bill

DanK

Thank God that never happened!

Christy

I think that if this were true and had been in play for awhile, Amy would have had enough sense to provide for this child in her will. She had enough sense to take her loser ex husband out of it.

MsPhoenix

Maybe focusing on someone other than herself could have been the answer. We will never know, or maybe your life course is set at birth and this was her destiny.

stuartburgh

amy was open-minded which made her have alot of empathy which is why she would adopt a 10 year old who look different than her. i love the article and if you are a fan of amy also you will love - you tube - how to laugh at racism