Rep. Gabrielle Giffords

Returns to Congress

8/1/2011 4:14 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0801_giffords_AP_bn
Nearly 6 months after she was shot in the head, Arizona congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords WALKED into the House of Representatives in D.C. today ... to a standing ovation.

Giffords made the appearance to personally cast her vote in favor of the debt ceiling bill.

FYI -- it passed. Hooray America.

See also

More Today in TMZ History

Kathy

What an amazing woman! Best of luck to her.

azlee

You need to follow all she has recovered and she knows what she is doing. Her body might be healing but her mind is sharp.

Yes, she should be casting her vote! I live in Tucson, where she was shot. Her recovery has been the utmost to all of is and we pay attention to what is happening with her.

alletis

Interesting...I took that "hooray America" comment as sarcasm. Sense of humor anyone?

Oh well

My question is, with all due respect, has she healed well enough to make a competent vote on matters that affect an entire nation of people?

azlee

yes there were other victims that day and I just talked to two of them that are soooooo excited that she has come this far! Her healing is healing for them! believe me. Even though these two people still have bullets in them.

This is great, you just dont' live here and understand it...you heard of the shooting on TV, but weren't in the vicinity of it. To us, it is very real. and now another victory.

Justin

I'm so going to hell for this but somebody should light a firecracker and toss it in there.

some guy

I'm happy she's back, but I find it convenient she shows up when people are generally disgusted with Washington for the budget debacle.
Trying to take our mind off Washington's dysfunction IMO.

two cents

LOL @ justin!! omg, that's the funniest thing I heard all day.

Too soon? Nawww. I'm from Houston, and I'm sick to death of hearing about her and her husband. Every day there were stories about them on our news. Every picture carefully orchestrated. It was nice while it lasted.

What exactly is she famous for except for being shot in the head and her huzzzband? Spare me. Fifteen minutes are up.

Ghost Rider

Thats really good to hear. I hope they dont use her and her situation as a way of grabbing our guns and our right to bear arms.

Joseph

What Great News!

It overshadowed the debt vote.

I'm sure everyone of all political persuasions is happy to see Congresswoman Giffords back.

Canon

Hey, Kelly Osbourne, have you come up with a way to get PR out of this yet?

Superman

I suspect Harvey is a greedy SOB just like the republicans. No way is this bill good for America! It's another win for the very rich and another big loss for the working-class and retirees.

I don't respect any congressman or senator that votes "yes" on that POS bill. Giffords should have stayed home. Looks to be a PR stunt to get sympathy for this POS bill.

Canon

I'm not happy to see her back! It's pathetic. While I wish her the best she took the risk of being in the public eye, thus the rewards and not. How about getting someone in there that is not a vegetable. I dare say the country deserves it.

Marie

So great! She is a fighter

Sandra

It was a great moment in what has been a disastrous time for the USA!!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments