MTV Star Threatens 'Entourage'

I'm The REAL Johnny Bananas!

8/1/2011 4:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0801-johnny-bananas-myspace-3-EX

An MTV reality star is threatening to sue the people behind "Entourage" -- claiming the show stole his nickname, "Johnny Bananas" ... and used it to fuel a storyline without his permission.

In case you gave up on "Entourage" ... Johnny Drama recently agreed to be the voice of an animated TV show called "Johnny's Bananas" ... in which the characters are all apes, gorillas, and other primates (above right, below right).

0801-johnny-bananas-vid2
Problem is, former "Real World" star Johnny Devenanzio (pictured above left) says he's been going by the name "Johnny Bananas" on various MTV shows since 2006 ... and claims he owns the rights to the name.

Now, Johnny Bananas -- the human -- got himself a lawyer ... who fired off a cease and desist letter to HBO, the network behind "Entourage."

In the letter, Johnny's attorney Stephanie Ovadia writes, "If you do not cease and desist ... you leave us little option but to seek judicial intervention."

Johnny tells TMZ he believes the name controversy is "in no way coincidental and is instead an attempt to capitalize on the name recognition which I'm solely responsible for creating."

He adds, "I intend to fight vigorously in defense of the years of hard work and dedication I've spent making Johnny Bananas a household name, and the purpose of this lawsuit is aimed at protecting the integrity of my brand."

UPDATE: A spokesperson for HBO tells TMZ the folks at "Entourage" have not received "any correspondence regarding this matter."

Andrew

Never heard of this doooshbag. I bet HBO execs were laughing their butts off after opening that letter.

eric

Household name???? Who the heck are you???? Really???? Get a life and get a job.

Rich

I have no idea who this guy is.

fafafooey

pete the killer,jimmy two times, freddie no nose, nicky eyes and pauly walnuts just hired lawyers

Ken

Who is Johnny Devenanzio? Never heard of him.He just got free publicity. That is his payment. Next.

hedda

who the hell is this guy...really nobody watches the real world anymore

Dave

Somewhere Ari Gold is laughing his ass off....

Kai103

What type of idiot tries to shut down Entourage?! That's just asking for trouble.

If sense were common everyone would have it.

Maybe a guy who's pushing 30 & still wants to call himself johnny bananas should get over himself.

JJ

The guy is obviously a MTV tool... seriously, who would even trademark a stupid nickname. His new nickname should be Johnny A**hat.

Brad

That name was used by several mobsters in the past. These MTV people are the worst trash on the face of the earth.

Leader of the ignorant masses

Name recognition? I never heard of that name before this article. I guess when you become a reality "star" and your "fame" vanishes as quickly as it came you will do anything to get your name out there again, except develop some talent apparently.

Diane

Ummm, I think after 'Puck', I was done with Real World.... only name from that show that comes to my mind.... what a joke this guy(ape) is....

joecrabs

Let me get this straight. You own the words "johnny bananas"? Yet you don't own a "job". Obviously, the next thing to do is sue someone.

T-to-the-J

This moron from Real World thinks that he is the only one in this world has this nickname? He's had his friends call him this for a whole 5 years? Wow, somebody get this guy a trademark. Wake up dude. You are not the first, search mobster John DiFronzo, nor the last with this nickname. His lawyer is a waste of space. She must have gotten her JD from a cracker jack box if she thinks this claim is valid. Reality Z list stars are so stupid!