Shawshank Redemption

OAK TREE

BADLY WOUNDED

8/1/2011 2:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0801-shawshank-tree-BN
The iconic Ohio oak tree where Andy Dufresne buried a secret stash for his prison pal Red at the end of "The Shawshank Redemption" ... is ON DEATH'S DOOR -- after a brutal windstorm last week.

You remember the tree -- it was at the end of the trail ... and there was a rock that had no earthly business being in a hayfield ... and Red picked up said rock, opened the box and realized that Andy was in Zihuatanejo. Great flick.

Anyway, the damn thing nearly split in half Friday during a crazy windstorm. According to MansfieldNewsJournal.com, the owners of the property have not announced if they plan to remove the tree.

But remember ... "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."

0801_shawshank_sub

Carl

That tree has more legitimate fame than most of the reality stars you post about here!

Where's KOOKY?

"Shawshank" is my all-time favorite movie, so this story means a lot to me. What a graceful, magnificent tree it was and the important way it was used in the movie. How sad that it's probably going to have to be taken down. Once a tree is split like that, with so much of the inside exposed, there's very little that can be done to save it. Hopefully someone will take cuttings and start new trees from it.

I, for one, am happy that TMZ chose to include this as a story. If you've never seen this movie, it's highly recommended and AMC runs it all the time. Saturday before last, they ran it all day and night until 5 a.m. the next morning! Despite how many times I've watched it, I saw it again!

Thanks, TMZ, for posting this!

Ih8tmz

The name is "Rhed".

Kate

Poor tree.

Professor Chaos

Who cares. I mean.. trees die all the time. It happens.
Great movie though. I'd definitely put it in the top 5 films of all time.

Professor Chaos

Who cares. I mean.. trees die all the time. It happens.
Great movie though. I'd definitely put it in the top 5 films of all time.

DubstepDistribution

cool

Annie

Get busy living or Get busy dying Oak Tree

Reta

I'm a total tree FREAK and Oak trees are awsome! This sure doesn't look like the same tree. The movie tree has nothing around it, and the dying tree has a lot of bushes, etc. And the shpaes are way different. Whatever. it's still a bummer to lose a tree that's most likely very very old.

Johnnyt

You got fooled again TMZ! I don't think this is the same tree,
unless they built a couple hundred yards of stone fence for the
movie and then ripped it up again. And us country folks know
our trees. Trees in an open field in a stone fence line are always
"line trees" marking a property line that either exists now or did
back when people had the time to do that sort of thing.

Get back to work!

Long live Stephen King. Love you man.

bob

This is bumming me out more than Casey Anthony not being my date for tonight.

Raejean

It's a great movie and the owner's call. But as an owner of a few oak trees myself, they have a way of healing and going on strong.

If sense were common everyone would have it.

Hope they can save the rest of it. But where's the damn rock wall?!? How will I find what my friend left me if I can't follow the damn rock wall?

amazon_woman