« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

BUBBA SMITH

"POLICE ACADEMY" STAR

DEAD AT 66

8/3/2011 3:01 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Bubba Smith DeadFormer NFL great Charles "Bubba" Smith -- who later starred in the "Police Academy" movies -- was found dead today in his Los Angeles home. He was 66 years old.

Law enforcement officials tell TMZ ... LAPD received a 911 call at 12:54PM today -- and officers responded to his home in the Baldwin Hills area. The fire department also responded and we're told Smith was dead when authorities arrived.

The L.A. County Coroner is on the scene investigating. We're told, at this point, authorities think he died of natural causes.

According to the L.A. Times, Bubba's caretaker discovered the body and called police. His autopsy will be performed later this week.

Bubba -- a towering 6'7" -- spent 9 seasons as a defensive end in the NFL, playing for the Baltimore Colts, Oakland Raiders, and Houston Oilers.

He won Super Bowl V with the Colts -- but is most famous for his role as the giant and lovable Moses Hightower in 6 of the "Police Academy" movies.

0803_remembering_bubba
0803_gw_bailey_quote_2
0803michael_winslow_quote_2
0804_memorial_scott

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Superman

Awwwww

emerald

AAh,no, that is so sad - I loved him in the Police Academy Films! R.I.P Bubba!

Criss

That sucks. He wasn't even old and he seemed like a good guy. I'm very sorry to hear that he's gone.

erin

So sad. What a funny warm man. Rest in Peace Giant

john johnson

r.i.p. big guy!

Tim

RIP Bubba Kind of irionic a buddy of my in Ohio who played with Bubba at MSU is fighting for his life now with cancer.

Mike Gallett

RIP. He seemed like the nicest big man on screen. The one i always wanted as a child to have as friend to guard me against all the bullies :)

Jon

Way too young!! RIP Hightower

the real diva

that is too bad he was good in the police academyu movies and in that episode he appeared on married with children he was in too. rip bubba

Shannon

THIS IS SO SAD! RIP!

IceGypsy

No matter what movies he did, he always managed to make me smile. He will be missed by many. R.I.P. Bubba.

marsha

That's sad!! Isn't 66 a little young to die of natural causes?

Carrie

Hightower and Tackleberry were my favorites in the Police Academy series, and now they're both gone too soon (David Graf died of a heart attack in 2001). Rest in peace, Bubba.

Andie

R.I.P Bubba. I loved Police Academy - didn't matter how many times I watched the repeats, you always made me laugh.
Gone too soon :(