« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Raiders Legend

BANKRUPT

Sells Super Bowl Rings

8/10/2011 11:10 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0810_Ray_Guy_getty_bn
NFL legend Ray Guy -- widely considered the GREATEST punter of ALL-TIME -- has been forced to sell off his three SUPER BOWL rings after filing for bankruptcy back in the spring.

61-year-old Guy -- a seven-time Pro Bowler -- banked a total of $80,100 for the three rings he earned during his 14-year NFL career ... two while the Raiders were in Oakland ... and one after the team moved to Los Angeles.

0810_ray_guy_rings_sub_asset
The rings (pictured above) were purchased by an unidentified buyer through an L.A. auction house.

After the sale, a clearly saddened Ray told the Augusta Chronicle, "I don't want to talk about it. I'm not trying to be hateful, but sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Straight Talkin Texan

I had to sell off a bunch of my jewelry when I went through hard times during my divorce. It happens.

Randy Morrison

Ray's not too brite if that's all he got for those rings...some jackass rapper would'a paid good a LOT more for them!!

shelley

it wasn't worth it. He should have held on to them. $81K doesn't go far

BrianVols

OMG people.....you make better money as a entry level manager at walmart than he did back in the day....stop bashing him saying he should have managed money better. Its the fools today that buy 7 mil homes and make 1.5 mil a year...hello how do you pay for that when you retire...upkeep, insurance etc....those are the fools!

aquanet

Poor guy. What most people don't know is that even today, on average, 56% of all football players are broke or file for bancrupcy with in three years of retiring. 50% of marriages fail. So the fact he held out as long as he did says a lot about him and most don't qualify for health insurance either and that takes a toll on their finaces too

Carl

Forget the T-shirt, Arnold's knees are in very bad shape.

the judge

those are some sweet lookin rings..the Chargers will never know what its like to wear some rings like these !! haha

Donald

Because he is not black i can see the sympathies,if this MF was a brother you fools will blame him for being on drugs or living expensive life style that he could not afford.

Bizz

thats really sad. some current NFL'ers should throw up some money and get them back for them. $80k is nothing to them.

en Todo Momento!!

dang. it's like a huge love marriage circle for boys only. no woman/female in the world gets those kinds of diamonds for her wedding. are they the homo?????!!!!

en Todo Momento!!

...and if she did, they'd call her a gold digging slut. what the hell.

Muppet

People can say what they want to about him not making the money they make now but the fact still remains that it must pay decent or noone would play football! Face the fact that he didn't invest wisely and is now broke. Sad story, maybe they should teach these football jocks how to manage money while they're making it?

ha!

oh no!:( i wish i had 80,000 dollars, i would totally buy those rings and give em back :( this makes me feel sad

There's a problem here

I feel for these guys ... to a point. The NFL left them high and dry after they "retired" or were retired from the game. HOWEVER, whenever I have left a job all I got out of it was the 401K or whatever plan they offered that I had paid into during my employ. If I was lucky I got a pat on the back and a "good luck" and maybe a nice cake before my as***** the door. If I was smart I saved as much as I could from the days when there was a paycheck. Trust me, my paycheck was pocket change to these guys back in their day, so in a way I feel for them and in a way I don't.

MuskaHater

Disgusting, no sympathy here. Squander all that money what a loser, he deserves to lose his rings

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments