George Lopez Jokes

I was Fired 'Because I'm Brown'

8/11/2011 6:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

George Lopez
George Lopez wasn't afraid to talk about his show getting canceled on "Lopez Tonight" yesterday -- but he told the crowd that he was being fired because of the color of his skin.

Lopez -- whose voice was featured in the "Smurfs" movie -- was talking about how Sony has greenlit a "Smurfs" sequel during his monologue ... and quipped, "So today I lost some work because I'm brown, but I got some work because I'm blue!"

Is Lopez REALLY blaming race ... or was he just trying to crack a bad joke?

3Storms

I guess he can go back to doing Robert Rodriguez movies where the good guys are always hispanic and the bad guys are always white

ManiacalZebra

You were fired because no one watched your show because you aren't funny.

Pompano Ann

He really started to hit below the belt with many people and he came off really arrogant at times and to top things off his divorce did not help his image. He should have been more humble?

linda

Ewwwwww you mean spirited Racist!You worked for years with the same color skin so stop the BS.Remember the wife you had that gave you a kidney? You know the white one you cheated on? Hope she's smiling now. Self-centered and NOT funny so BYE-BYE!

tb

Hey George! Maybe that crappy show of yours was canceled bc everytime I flipped channels PAST your show all I ever saw was a fame whore Kardashian on there.

RamHead

Here's my two cents: I don't think Leno, Letterman, Lopez, O'Brien or whoever to be funny. Therefore I wouldn't mind if they lost their shows.

Melissa Clement

I use to be one of George Lopez's biggest fans, and then my admiration and respect for him began to decrease over the last couple of years, for no specific reason, just a loss that I can't explain, but now I'm completely disappointed in him. Whether is comment was a tongue-in-cheek joke or not, it was wrong to say. We are a country that professes to be being prejudice and racial issues behind us, to see everyone as being equal. Granted, it's not working the best, and I dare say, until the end of time, there will never be a 100% loss of racial feelings, and that's sad. But those remain stirred and alive in the pit of people's stomachs because we are CONSTANTLY reminded that it should be...and that's WRONG! There has been NO change in the skin color of George Lopez, he was hired with brown skin, he remained on his talk show and his sit com because of his performance, not because of the hue of his body. If they hired him knowing full well what his heritage is, then why would he be fired for such a thing? It's a cop out, it's an over used and totally abused statement that quite frankly I'm sick of hearing. Yes, there are VERY narrow minded people out there that will never treat anyone that's not the blonde hair/blue eyed entity as an equal, and that is so heartbreaking, but then when you have people with celebrity status that every time something bad happens, they play the race card, then the racial tension and prejudice acts of the world will never come to an end. The ratings dropped, his original time slot was lost, his performance lacked what the people were looking for, THAT is the reason for the cancellation, NOT the color of his skin. What fondness I did still hold for George Lopez is now gone, and it's a shame he's lost much by acting so small.

jeff

That's the same excuse he used when his last show was cancelled. It's about ratings and revenue from advertisers.

It's not about you, idiot.

sher

This is the same thing he whinned about when his sit-com was cancelled. I saw one of his stand-up comedy shows and all I can say is Mr. Lopez is stop the in your face remarks about hispanics population over taking America. You are not the only person to have a show cancelled, white people, black people, brown people, all have had shows cancelled some much less than three years, it has nothing to do with race but rather the business you are in. When you stop being interesting to the population you are taken off the air. Man-up and stop playing the race card. You are always welcome to go to Mexico, Cuba, wherever and try your show there!!!!

Home Skillet

It's easier to play the race card than admit you suck. Lopez - I hope the white celebs that you just soldout indirectly by invoking the crutch-of-an-excuse "race" all turn their backs on you now that you've self-identified as a "victim" because of your "race." Shut your stupid, NOT FUNNY, mouth, go count the millions you made while you had a show, be thankful for what you earned while you had the chance and take a look in the mirror if you want the REAL reason for why you were cancelled.

jeff

He is a racist like Kanye. His show was stupid and he was never funny, even Carlos Mencia was more funny and we know how not funny he is.

mree1

George Lopez didn't get fired because he's brown... he got fired because he's NOT FUNNY.

It's about time!

joe

All he ever did was make race comments on his show. He alienated half his audience. I couldn'*****ch him anymore. He's too racist.

Melissa Clement

I use to be one of George Lopez's fans, and then my admiration and respect for him began to decrease over the last couple of years, for no specific reason, just a loss that I can't explain, but now I'm completely disappointed in him. Whether his comment was a tongue-in-cheek joke or not, it was wrong to say. We are a country that professes to be putting prejudice and racial issues behind us, to see everyone as being equal. Granted, it's not working the best, and I dare say, until the end of time, there will never be a 100% loss of racial feelings, and that's sad. But those remain stirred and alive in the pit of people's stomachs because we are CONSTANTLY reminded that it should be...and that's WRONG! There has been NO change in the skin color of George Lopez, he was hired with brown skin, he remained on his talk show and his sitcom because of his performance, not because of the hue of his body. If they hired him knowing full well what his heritage is, then why would he be fired for such a thing? It's a cop out, it's an over used and totally abused statement that quite frankly I'm sick of hearing. Yes, there are VERY narrow minded people out there that will never treat anyone that's not the blonde hair/blue eyed entity as an equal, and that is so heartbreaking, but then when you have people with celebrity status that every time something bad happens, they play the race card, then the racial tension and prejudice acts of the world will never come to an end. The ratings dropped, his original time slot was lost, his performance lacked what the people were looking for, THAT is the reason for the cancellation, NOT the color of his skin. What fondness I did still hold for George Lopez is now gone, and it's a shame he's lost much by acting so small.

Johnny Carcinoma

Dude is simply not funny. Plus, he's aged terribly and is frightening to look at.
Conan is also not pulling any ratings. About 700,00/night.

The only thing funny about the two of them is how unfunny they are and how they managed to parlay nothing into some serious cash.

George, you were canned because your show is terrible, your network is terrible, you're not funny, amusing or even remotely entertaining.

I blame Sandra Bullock, who found him and married Jesse James. She has no taste in comedy or husbands.

Losers.