Sesame Street

Bert & Ernie AREN'T GAY!!!

8/11/2011 12:54 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0811-bert-ernie-google3-BN
Sesame Street has finally responded to age-old rumors that Bert and Ernie are gay -- claiming the infamous room-sharing man-puppet odd couple are JUST FRIENDS ... and have no sexual orientation whatsoever.

A petition emerged online this week, urging the creators of Sesame Street to marry the two puppets -- but the Sesame Workshop just posted a message on its Facebook account, writing, "Bert and Ernie are best friends."

The statement continues, "They were created to teach preschoolers that people can be good friends with those who are very different from themselves."

"Even though they are identified as male characters and possess many human traits and characteristics ... they remain puppets, and do not have a sexual orientation."

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure.

0811_sesame_stars_footer

Cheryl

WTF!!!!!!!!!!! Hell no, this is a bad idea and this thought must have came from a RETARD!!!! Look I’m cool with gays and Lesbians equal rights but this is taking it too far! If being gay was ok then they would not have to push the issue so damn hard to make others understand, you are free to love and be with whomever you choose to be with so the fight is over!!! If you are gay then to eaches own but don’t take my right away if I choose to grow my child up to be header sexual, as long as I don’t teach my kids to hate gays and the lifestyle they chose to live then why do I have to expose my kids to that type of lifestyle especially at an early age??? Sesame Street is there to teach children how to read, count, and to be kind and giving so leave the sexuality and lifestyle up to the parent. I have a lot of friends that are gay, hell my sister is gay but my kids will always know that God made Adam and Eve but if you grow up to choose to be an Anna and Eve then that’s your choice and your life.
I think this let me MAKE YOU all except the gay lifestyle is out of hand, if that’s your lifestyle then fine, STOP trying to confuse the little kids and stop trying so damn hard to make all people except it, it’s your way of life so live it, everyone does not have to live it with you only respect you.
Follow and tweet us at NaturalbeautyEP

Late Nighter

I completely understand that they were originally to show that you can be friends with people completely different form you but isn't now the perfect time to teach a different lesson?

kc

What I don't understand is, why everything has to be determined gay or not gay.... why is it SO unthinkable that, whether or not bert and ernie have no sexual orientation, that even if they did, two characters of the same sex can't just be best friends?? It's frustrating that people are so consumed with sexual orientation today. Who cares if two puppets are gay or straight or bi or anything, when its just a show for children! Their sexual orientation has and hasn't had anything to do with the show. I am all for gay rights... but it's when i hear things like this that really make me feel society is looking waaayyy too into this whole thing... just let it be!

YouDontSay

Can kids be kids! Bad enough they have to grow up to be nasty fuxxs that think of things like this!

Ann

I just have no words for such nonsense!

lou

That's right, make something that's simple and child-centered and sweet into an adult theme and pu***** on kids for a PC agenda...kids can't be kids anymore.

PS: They're PUPPETS, people!

lou

That's right, make something that's simple and child-centered and sweet into an adult theme and push/// it on kids for a PC agenda...kids can't be kids anymore.

PS: They're PUPPETS, people!

Narisha

Some sicko gay pervs trying to corrupt pre-schoolers again! Why would little kids care about anybody's sexual orientation. I didn't when I was a kid and neither should they. Let kids be kids. They will have enough time to worry about their sexual orientation later in life. The people who are pushing this should be hunted down and registered as child sex offenders!

angelrex

Growing up watching them, I thought they were brothers...

Dave

They totally seem gay to me. And even though it's a children's show Sesame Street's writers put "non-kiddie" stuff in the show all the time...I saw them spoof "Trueblood" for chrissakes! I could care less one way or the other but what I do find sadly ironic are the people who are posting on here so emphatically that it's a kids' learning show and to leave orientation out of it and seeing all the spelling mistakes of these parents who are hoping that Sesame Street will teach their kids better then they can I guess? (Mayu: it's count PAST 3, not "count passed 3" and Lisa: it's APPALLED not "appauled") What some of you should be furious and appalled with is your first grade teacher!

dan

Gay is not an ethnic minority. Sorry. And people actually voted for gay marriage. And now, they opened up a can of worms. Now gays are pushing for crap like this and bit@ch and moan when they don't get their way. It's rediculous. Stick to eing a sheltered counter-culture and stop pushing your agenda on me. OBVIOUSLY the world doesn't want it (Just read the comments on this board).

sylvia

Now that all these Gay people are coming out they want everybody and anybody to be gay. Hey if they are not gay then they are not gay. you be gay and be gay about it and leave others to be who they are. Just because your gay doesn't mean everybody else is or wants to be.

tanya

People only see what they want to see, and they project their own feelings and insecurities onto others. If anyone actually thinks characters on a children's TV show are supposed to be gay, they better look in the mirror and come out of the closet if they have not done so already... Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Ya Mon

TMZ is GAY, 99% of people not confused, 1% confused.

Ld

I am so sick and tired of this whole gay thing. It's a shame my daughter has to grow up in nonsense like this. You people got your effin marriage leave cartoons alobe.