Sesame Street

Bert & Ernie AREN'T GAY!!!

8/11/2011 12:54 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0811-bert-ernie-google3-BN
Sesame Street has finally responded to age-old rumors that Bert and Ernie are gay -- claiming the infamous room-sharing man-puppet odd couple are JUST FRIENDS ... and have no sexual orientation whatsoever.

A petition emerged online this week, urging the creators of Sesame Street to marry the two puppets -- but the Sesame Workshop just posted a message on its Facebook account, writing, "Bert and Ernie are best friends."

The statement continues, "They were created to teach preschoolers that people can be good friends with those who are very different from themselves."

"Even though they are identified as male characters and possess many human traits and characteristics ... they remain puppets, and do not have a sexual orientation."

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure.

0811_sesame_stars_footer

Previous 15 Comments | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14

Ya Mon

I can see why the gays think ther are gay..both Ernie and Bert have fist uptheir A#$es! they would know....

Karen

Let kids just enjoy and learn from their ABC's from the show for goodness sakes...it's geared to pre-schoolers who don't care less one way or the other...if it's that important to you to tell your children that they're gay, tell them that..perhaps Santa and his elves are too LMAO!!

Sheila

I wish gay people would stop trying to shove homosexuality down our throats. That's your decision, you live with it. I'm tired of you trying to make everyone gay, to suit your agenda!

Erica

Jim Henson would be turning in his grave at the repulsiveness of this nonsense. Why do they even need to think about Sesame Street characters like that? Really? I can think of much better ways to teach my son about tolerance.

jenny

Maybe you're all just too young to remember bert dying of aids, but i saw it happen. Gay agenda being pushed on sesame street. i will never forget it. i guess they're backtracking now that we're supposed to believe "anyone can get aids" lol

jenny

Bert already diead of aids quite some time ago. For them to revive him now and pretend they weren't gay is just absurd.

Sandy

Thank-you Thank-you I just got to my T.v. and the first thing I hear is that you have declared Bert and Ernie as friends and nothing more. We grew up and so did our kids knowing that they were friends who could live with each others quirks and get along. How dare someone think otherwise. I am very tolerant of other peoples preferences but when they try to foist their beliefs on others, real or puppet I have a problem. Start your own show with gay puppet's if you have to but don't change our beloved shows for your own benefit or whatever. Thank you again. Sandy

Stacy Stowe

OMG!!! What will they come up with next? Apparently GLBT is the newest fad. Mature adults keep their private lives PRIVATE! I do not walk around forcing my sexual preferences on others. My 6 year old recently asked me if it is OK for a girl to marry a girl, compliments of her 19 year old cousin, who says she is bisexual (along with almost every friend she grew up with). I have had to tell her several times that my children are too young to learn about sexual orientation; but at 19, she is idealistic and like all 19 year olds, she knows what is best for the world. I have no issue with someone having a personal sexual orientation of their own choosing, but I tire of everybody deciding they are GLBT because everybody else is doing it. These are cartoon characters, do people REALLY have to make it into a sex thing????

gsovis

some stupid people have nothing better to do how dumb can you get

jojoo

Why do we have to make even a children's innocent show a political agenda----enough!!! There is nothing wrong with having a good friend of the same sex----stop pushing the gay agenda on everyone!

jojoo

Shut Up Little Man

Do they really need a wedding?! They already act like an old married couple: http://bit.ly/qwIJYQ. A wedding won't change nothing!

Michelle

Growing up I always thought they were brothers.

Previous 15 Comments | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14