Five Dead After Stage

Collapses At Sugarland

Show in Indiana

8/13/2011 6:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Five people are dead and 40 more injured after a stage collapsed tonight at the Indiana State Fair before the country band Sugarland was to perform.

High winds were believed to have been the cause.

A reporter for WANE-TV in Indiana was in the crowd at the time and described what happened like this: "The wind just picked up and the stage just caught and the roof just caught and it went up like a sail and then it crashed forward into the people standing in the front. There were people trapped underneath and everyone was running and screaming. They were asking any medics or nurses not to leave."

Sugarland Stage Collapse

bob

Before you come to TMZ clear your cookies TMZ will add
47 cookies..... 47 yes 47

frankie

Holy smokes! I live 10 minutes away from the fairgrounds. The storm did come kind of out of nowhere. It didn't seem like the winds were that bad. I hope everyone is alright!

S

That video of the stage collapsing is terrifying. I can't imagine what it must have been like for the people there. Although I am really surprised the concert wasn't cancelled to begin with when the weather got so bad.

me

This is so sad ans unfortunate. Though nothing can be done about the poor souls who died, I hope the injured recover fully and the families of the departed find comfort.

SteveD

I live in Indianapolis. The storms that came thru tonight were pretty brutal. While I was watching weather alerts on the local TV station, the breaking news came thru about this. It's sad...

chaz lane

Prayers go out to everyone involved...

I am Spartacus

storm came out of nowhere, Sara Barielles was on earlier and even commented on what a nice night it was. Sad to see this happen.

chris long

4 confirmed dead,at least 40 injured

chris long

4 dead and at least 40 injured

snowcat

What a horrible tragedy.I pray those injured and God Bless the lives lost.My deepest sympathy to families and friends of people who were "just going to a show" and didn't come home.

justcallmeGrace

my thoughts and prayers go out to all those who passed away, their families, and those who were injured

Kayla

This is crazy, the video is just heart breaking seeing the stage fall like that. My prayers are with all the families who lost someone and to all in the injured people.

steve

The stage manager is to blame for all this.. the stage should have been fitted to take the worst storm,, no such luck,, jackass profit margins create death... sugarland is to blame... not mother nature, bad design or just greed.
greed,,, you can rig a stage to take it,,, they dont,, playing in a tornado prone state,,, why no warning to move back,,, forsce them to move,,, wheres the security,,,. yes bless the dead and injured,,, never should have happend,, shame on sugarland

Angela88

according to local news in Indianapolis there are 4 dead and over 40 injured

juggaloszuch

Gives new meaning to "BRINGING DOWN THE HOUSE"