Five Dead After Stage

Collapses At Sugarland

Show in Indiana

8/13/2011 6:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Five people are dead and 40 more injured after a stage collapsed tonight at the Indiana State Fair before the country band Sugarland was to perform.

High winds were believed to have been the cause.

A reporter for WANE-TV in Indiana was in the crowd at the time and described what happened like this: "The wind just picked up and the stage just caught and the roof just caught and it went up like a sail and then it crashed forward into the people standing in the front. There were people trapped underneath and everyone was running and screaming. They were asking any medics or nurses not to leave."

Sugarland Stage Collapse

BigTimeRush_betterthanBieber

Big Time Rush was there two days prior. It's so scary. I my heart goes out to those who lost their lives.

MANDI

It wasn't until I watched this video that I realized how close I was to being hit by that stage. A couple of FEET!!! I am so proud of my family and friends they turned around just as fast as I did and ran in to help those people.

livereater

look at the lightning in the background sky even before this structure blew over. the lightning should've postponed this event.

must be a lot of stupid people in indiana... remember the notre dame football photographer that died when his scaffolding blew over in indiana too.

people in indiana are just stupid.

frankiestage

Unfortunate there was loss of life. Lotta law suits to follow on this one though, cause the stage seemed rickety. If you're gonna build something that tall and that wide, and with the fabric basically forming a parachute, you'd better be sure it can withstand very high winds.

Truth

So, how was the show?

sarah n

I slept through that storm.

Ashley

My hopes and prairies go out to all the family's! http://ashleyjj1986.blogspot.com/2011/08/about-me.html

zenaida

This is so sad and scary! looks just like the movie Final Destination :( :O

steve

it sickens me that someone would continue to film the aftermath instead of rushing down the stairs, pushing other onlookers outta the way, and helping those victims trapped. (and soon to be dead)

Sarah

OMG THATS SO SCARY.. COULD YOU IMAGINE

Jennifer

What a terrible accident! My heart goes out to the lives lost and the injured. Those winds were serious and it's so unfortunate this happened!

guest

5 dead and 40+ injured is the count right now

chuckchuck

Weather.com warned on THRURSDAY of high winds and hail for them on saturday. People chose to be there anyway.

Jordan

offical confermed 5 people dead now, numbers expected to rise

B(

Mai

y are all your comments or stories about black men always negative for instance the one about Bill Bellamy was really mean first they said he was dead then they said he was irrevelent its not just that one story TMZ consistantly report stories like that It kind of sad do you think you can just say anything about people and no one will say anything or care what is it? I just want to know. mean mean mean