Russell Armstrong

Distraught Over Divorce and

'Tremendous Financial Problems'

8/16/2011 8:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0816_russell_taylor_armstrong_ex_3
"Real Housewives of Beverly Hills" star Russell Armstrong was at his wits end over his impending divorce from Taylor in the days leading to his death -- and he was inundated with debt.

Russell's lawyer Ronald Richards tells TMZ, Russell had been staying at a friend's house on Mulholland Drive in L.A. -- the same house where authorities found his body hanging last night.

0816-russell-house-water-subRichards tells us, "I feel bad because his credit cards weren't working ... He had tremendous financial problems."

Richards adds, "He was also extremely bummed out about the divorce with Taylor. As far as a will, even if he does have a will, they don't have any assets, so I'm not sure what there would be left to leave. I am extremely saddened ... I had no idea he was depressed."

As we previously reported, Russell -- an investor who made his money in the 90s during the dot com boom -- filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2005, claiming he had less than $50,000 in assets ... and debt somewhere between $1 and $10 million.

Previous 15 Comments | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9

Pookie

It's unfortunate for everyone involved. I don't blame Bravo - they're in business to bring this type of TV to viewers...and viewers like it; it's very popular and BH housewives won a People Choice. So you see, Bravo is giving vast audiences exactly what they want. I feel badly that Taylor is suffering...but I also believe that many marriages/relationships that come together based on money or superficiality don't work. I predicted in season 1 that there'd be no future for Russell in Taylor's life.

wilson

How sad for the kids. Russell certainly took the easy way out, couldn"t fake it any more. This was the ultimate revenge for ole fish mouth. poor thing!!!

nanajo

Guess that $15K birthday party for a 4 year old was a bit over the top huh?

SmartPotato

Rich white people are such babies. Nothing is worth offing yourself--especially when it comes to money, or children are involved. Nice work, jerk-off.

Sue

I never watched the show, but curiosity got the best of me. I had my husband find them on line and I have been watching them. I feel so bad for this guy. You can so see that he is uncomfortable in front of the camera. That yotch, Lisa, made a couple of insulting remarks about his looks. So shallow! Her (Lisa's) husband is nothing to write home about. All they do is pick at his guy. The way his wife spends, she probably needed a good smack to bring her back to reality.

K8TDID2

How do you afford to throw a $60...,000 BD party for a 3 year old when you are in bankruptcy?

Janice

Think back to last season when Taylor was upset at Russell not being capable to have fun anywhere with her i.e."The White party" Also to his constant blank expression. Hind-site is 20/20, but the guy was depressed for a long time.
It wasn't just the divorce, or money...it's those two things & many more will come to light.It's RIDICULOUS to blame Bravo. The show they signed up for, may have caused unexpected stress , but what job doesn't these days.
My sympathy to all of his family & may his troubled soul rest in peace. J

Previous 15 Comments | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9