Abercrombie & Fitch

Stock PLUMMETS

After Dissing 'Jersey Shore'

8/17/2011 11:24 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0817_situation_anf_EXD
The Situation could have more market power than anyone imagined -- because a day after Abercrombie & Fitch offered him and the other "Jersey Shore" cast members cash NOT to wear its clothes ... the company's stock plummeted 9%.

Abercrombie's stock hit the new low today -- the first trading session since the company offered Sitch and the cast substantial $$$ to stop wearing A&F-branded products.

Abercrombie fired off a press release yesterday, offering the cast "a substantial payment" in return for not wearing its threads, claiming The Situation goes against the "aspirational nature of its brand."

A source directly connected with The Situation tells TMZ ... Abercrombie never personally contacted them, or in any way made a financial offer to stay away from A&F clothing.

Translation -- this stunt backfired big time.

0817_situation_snapshots_footer

hotbitch

Because heaven forbid The Situation tarnish the image of a company that peddles push-up bras to 7-yr-olds.

JBerry

TMZ - did you happen to overlook the fact A&F announced solid earnings in the morning, but provided limited guidance for the rest of the year? i think that had a bigger impact on the stock price than anything Jersey Shore related.

mamajj

If I had a clothing line I wouldn't want this greasy douchbag to wear my clothes either. Good for them. Oh & stocks are dropping everywhere it isn't because of this idiot.

christy

abercrombie has terrible business ethics speaking from someone who has been there. any parent who would allow teens to wear some of their clothing should step back and take a good look especially these young girls. they look very trashy and attract trouble. as far as the jersey shore crew they are laughing all the way to the bank!!!

jacksonfive210

people still wear abercrombie.... it was cool when I was in elementary school but after that not so much.

Rage

Two Wrongs -- Abercrombie & Fitch, Situation -- Don't make a Right.
Both are crap in their own self-righteous way

Amanda

This is sad, I really like Abercrombie. It's hard to find clothing for tall thin people but Abercrombie specializes in it. I don't want to be associated with this brand anymore so I'm going to stop wearing it. I'm not a fan of Mike the Situation by any means but who are they to tell people they can or cannot wear their clothing?

rledaux

Going to buy some Abercrombie & Fitch stock before it goes back up.

username

Do you guys read any news sites? Abercrombie had a conference call with investors today where "Chief Financial Officer Jonathan Ramsden said on the call that the company expects a “double- digit” increase in second-half expenses, without giving a figure."

This has everything to do with corporate financials and nothing to do with a TV show.

Jason

Does A&F not know that douchbags are the exact people who actually buy their clothing?

Tantalus

Who cares! If my product was only being worn by disease infested wh_res, I would pull it altogether. God when will these orange, bad mannered, illiterate fools be gone?

JOEL

TMZ- Get your story straight! A&F stocks dropped because of the unstable future of the economy...this poor journalism is skewing it so that it looks libelous. Get some real reporters who know how to put together a story.

Amanda

Definitely not a Jersey Shore fan, but seriously? Wtf is so "aspirational" about A&F??

Chad

I never have bought their clothes because they cost so much money. I did think the guys in their catalog were hot and always bought it until they cut back on the nudity. I think this offer is stupid and makes me glad I don't wear them.

zzz

Come on guys, nothing about ANF's underwhelming earnings? Gotta understand the whole Situation here..

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments